Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Visual effect of prescription drugs

brianb

I've recently been prescribed Lyrica (pregabalin) 300mg twice daily because of nerve pain in my arm. Since taking this I've noticed that my night vision is not as good, I'd say I've lost about a magnitude of sensitivity to faint stars though there is no effect that I'm conscious of.

The drug is intended to prevent nerve spasms so perhaps it is not surprising that there is an effect on the sensory system.

Anyone else have any similar experience with this drug?

Any other drugs (over the counter or prescription - not illegal substances) that you know of that improve or worsen night vision?

My hubby currently takes the same dose of the same medication as part of his treatment for his ME but I have to say he hasn't appeared to have any issues with his night vision.

Hard to say though given I didn't have a telescope when he was well so might just be too faint to notice under normal circumstances. Can never say for sure when its not one person comparing before and after.

This is a good question, and funny you should mention it, as I've been having problems as well.

I'm on numerous heart medication, have been for about a year now but they haven't bothered me to much. but in July I was diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome and placed on hydroxychloroquine.

I have noticed my eyes getting worse, problem is I do not know if it's the medication or the disease, as it does effect your eyes.

My problem is flashing lights and a yellow smearing effect, but while observing I'm tending to find dimmer objects are alot harder to see, and like yourself, I'm losing at least a magnitude in brightness.

This is maybe why I've turned so much more towards the moon recently.

Lyrica can cause eyesight problems such as blurry vision so in a mild form, vision sensitivity is not too surprising. If it gets worse such that you notice it during normal activities it would be advisable to tell your doctor.

It can also cause depression and suicidal thoughts (not to be confused with similar sypmtoms suffered by astronomers during prolonged periods of bad weather, cloud etc..)

Dave...

It can also cause depression and suicidal thoughts (not to be confused with similar sypmtoms suffered by astronomers during prolonged periods of bad weather, cloud etc..)

Yeah, I'm well used to depression but it hasn't been a significant problem since I retired. Suicide: not unless/until the pain becomes too much to cope with & there's no prospect of recovery.

Archived