NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Some more progress...

Helen

Last night was the first proper usable clear night since well before Christmas for me, and I wasted it because things just didn't want to work...:( In fact I got so fed up with incompatibility and unreliability of kit that I was all ready to pack it all in and go back to just observing (and a bit of solar imaging). So tonight I decided to give it another go, and its been a reasonable night :) Things still not always working to plan, but progress nonetheless. The QHY8 decided it did want to talk to Maxim :), but then the frost got it :( I need to dehumidify it big time!! and remove the hundreds of dust bunnies too! But I've got some colour subs to practice on :o The guiding with the Atik 16ic has been the real positive out of tonight :) Its so much easier on guide stars than the little SX guide head.

Once the QHY8 frosted I replaced it with the H9 and the Ha filter and tried 5 x 10 min subs on the Crab nebula. Here's a quick process of the result (just DSS and curves and levels). It won't win any awards, but its the first time I've got the structure, so that's pleasing. Taken with the Megrez90 and guided with the ZS66. I'll do flats in the morning which may allow me to push it a bit more.

I'm just waiting for Saturn to clear the trees before going to bed - but quite happy with the progress tonight :(

Helen

post-13020-13387752007_thumb.jpg

Don't get disheartened Helen as this is the learning curve and sounds like lots of issues but you got through it and results look great, at least some data to play with. You may benefit from a dew heater? You'll get lots of advice re software here so keep at it.

John.

I like the look of this - really nice for just 5 subs. As has been said the noise will reduce with a few more subs and detail in the structure will really start to leap out. The stars look perfectly round so why not try some 15min or 20min subs - the longer the better with Ha.

I get the technical issues too but they help me to work out how to do things better - as you say it's progress - so please keep at it. Your results so far are inspiring. :D

Mark

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I made some more progress lat night too - with some colour M45 subs with the QHY8 before the moon came up. I got 8x 10 min subs before it clouded out, but the guiding worked well, and no frosting issues either :-)

I'm currently on a train to London for a long weekend, so should get some chance to play with the data. I'm feeling much more upbeat about things!!!

Helen

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I made some more progress lat night too - with some colour M45 subs with the QHY8 before the moon came up. I got 8x 10 min subs before it clouded out, but the guiding worked well, and no frosting issues either :-)

I'm currently on a train to London for a long weekend, so should get some chance to play with the data. I'm feeling much more upbeat about things!!!

Helen

Good to hear Helen. Such a downer when things fail after so long of not getting out.

Sounds like you are into the groove with high spirits :D

Archived