Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Astromaster 130

I bought one from Amazon last November and I'm happy with it, although for a few extra bucks you will be able to buy a Skywatcher 130. I posted a thread a few hours ago asking for comparisons between both scopes, but haven't had a reply yet.

The Astromaster 130 was going for £100 - £120 last time I looked, but in retrospect, (and for about £20 more) I would have bought the Astromaster 130Md - same scope but with a motor drive.

Don't rush out and buy just yet - See what the other members have to say first.

Hi Yorks,

Can I refer you to Astrobaby's reply to Neilius's original question in the Beginners Help and Advice Section, where she has kindly supplied a direct appraisal of the Celestron and the Skywatcher 130 scopes.

The conclusion is that the Skywatcher IS the better buy!

Clear skies

James

No worries folks. I bought the scope before joining here and it is superior to the 60mm refractor that I still have.

I've just been observing Saturn, using the 6.3mm and 4mm eyepieces that arrived yesterday. The results were quite surprising.

I aim to upgrade to a Skymaster next year, a 150mm at least.

I aim to upgrade to a Skymaster next year, a 150mm at least.

Try a Skywatcher, they are even better :)

From 130mm I'd definately try and go to 200mm (8") rather than 150mm. The 20mm extra won't give you a significant gain really.

Archived