Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bubble and M52

martin_h

Cloud dodging tonight, but the start of something new.

Managed to grab 7 x 15 min subs, and a quick stack and process.

Stars are not great in M52, I'm using the SW reducer/corrector but cant get the correct spacing, so its reducing (a bit) but not correcting(a lot).

Still, the crop tool is a wonderful thing.

I dont know if to leave this as Ha or do some colour as well - depends on the clouds!

post-16950-133877520017_thumb.jpg

Great image mate, but focusing looks off a tad as you say towards the cluster.

Perhaps because of the reducer issues.

Tonight is great for imaging in ha as long as way from the direct glare of the moon.

When you look at the full size TIFF the stars in the corners are elongated.

When Ive finished this current batch of images I might take it off and use it for a paper weight.

When you look at the full size TIFF the stars in the corners are elongated.

When Ive finished this current batch of images I might take it off and use it for a paper weight.

feel your pain mate.

I had 2 good 20min subs and then even 10 min ones were streaks when 100% zoomed.

check and re-check dude.

I am pretty sure mine is down to location of target above neighbours house with heat vent, ariels, hedges etc.

Pick a simple easy target and take a few 2 min subs to check. It will tell ya whether it is working or not. Also the moon isn't helping tonight.

Nice one :)

I know what a pain it can be to get the spacing right, maybe you should invest in a set of t-ring extensions in various sizes. I think FLO have some. As long as you know the distance between the CCD and the top of the T thread on your cam, that should give you an idea of how much youve got left to play with. Even so, its still a bit hit and miss.

Nice one :)

I know what a pain it can be to get the spacing right, maybe you should invest in a set of t-ring extensions in various sizes. I think FLO have some. As long as you know the distance between the CCD and the top of the T thread on your cam, that should give you an idea of how much youve got left to play with. Even so, its still a bit hit and miss.

I just cant get it close enough, I'm assuming it should be 55mm - the closest I can get is 60mm with a filter wheel on...the only thing I can remove is my LP filter, and to be honest I'd rather loose the reducer.

I just cant get it close enough, I'm assuming it should be 55mm - the closest I can get is 60mm with a filter wheel on...the only thing I can remove is my LP filter, and to be honest I'd rather loose the reducer.

I hate flatteners and reducers......

I have a WO66 and can't get my QHY9 / filter wheel and OAG to work.

Fingers crossed my new OAG TSOAG from Bern with solve it with WO66 as well as help me focus on MN190.

How thick is your filter wheel? With my setup, i have to add length to get the MPCC to work (also 55mm). Maybe your chip is set well back in the camera... hmmm. Are there any filter threads on the reducer? Maybe you can jig things around a bit so you dont have to lose it.

The filter wheel is very slim, what I might do is get a 2" LP filter and swap it out for the Lum filter in the wheel, I'm using the Baader RGB Filter set and they are supposed to cut some LP in the R,G,B filters. that way I might get the 5mm I'm looking for.

The filter wheel is very slim, what I might do is get a 2" LP filter and swap it out for the Lum filter in the wheel, I'm using the Baader RGB Filter set and they are supposed to cut some LP in the R,G,B filters. that way I might get the 5mm I'm looking for.

I use the QHY9 2inch filters in thier wheel and find that with these, i don't need a LP filter due to the wavelength they cut out.

Without a LP filter, just raw LRGBHa I get easily 10min subs on a F7.5 900mm Not tried yet on the MN900, so i spose knock it down by a factor of 2

Have you tried without your LP filter mate ?

Ive got those same filters, so i might give it a try without the LP filter too. But not until the moons gone.

Ive got those same filters, so i might give it a try without the LP filter too. But not until the moons gone.

Definately worth a try.

I had long discussions with Bern @ Modern about the DSLR to CCD conversion and LP filters. He reccomended trying without 1st as the QHY9 filters have LP cut out in them due to the wave length they allow through.

Well I tried and tbh, you get some green tinting, but easily correctable with processes.

All of my images in last 8 months or so have been 5+ mins LRGB on ED 120 with no LP in a site that I can if lucky see a faint Milky Way on a clear moonless night.

Give it a go dude.

Archived