Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newbie Help - Books

Hello! I wondered if some of you might be able to help me out. I've had a casual interest in astrophysics and thought it made sense to dabble a little in astronomy. I wondered if there were any books out there that might be suitable for me to read. The books I do have, although useful, are very dry. Are there any good books that engage with the science behind what I can see? Otherwise, do I need to wait for Prof. Brian Cox to write one?

Thanks!

It depends how in depth you want the science I suppose

I highly recommend Prof. Cox's book published to accompany his series "Wonders of the Solar System" ("Universe" to follow this year I believe).

No, the science isn't too deep (which for a newbie like me is great) but neither is it too dumbed down either. I found the book to be as absorbing as the program itself and constantly keep going back to it. It's the sort you can dip in and out of at any chapter.

Oh and BTW - I am not related to nor work for or on behalf of Prof. Cox. :)

I just like him and indeed it was him that sparked my new interest in astronomy.

Are you looking for observing guides and introductions to getting out there and seeing the stars? If so, go for "Turn Left at Orion" and/or "Nightwatch"

"Seeing in the dark" is quite a nice book about the process of doing astronomy and the characters involved. There are some nice sections in the book about astronomy itself, e.g. descriptions of the Jovian system.

Thanks for the tips people. I have the excellent Wonders of the Solar System. As my name suggests, I have a bit of a man-crush on the great man. I take personal pride in having been a fan well before he become all popular. Sad but true. I recently bought the underrated Sunshine on DVD just so I could hear his amazing commentary - HIGHLY recommend. You can get it for a 6p on Amazon marketplace.

Anyway, ideally I'm looking for something that combines the science/history with actually getting out to see the night sky. At the moment, I'm finding things and then researching them on Wikipedia. "Turn Left at Orion" sounds good, particularly as I only have a tiny telescope and a great pair of binoculars at the moment. I'll look up some of your other suggestions too.

Turn left at Orion was my first book, along with my Prof Brian Cox stuff, I am able with my small telescope able to find some amazing sights. also, as others have suggested in other posts, if you are looking to pin point stars, the Smart phone apps are excellent! I have Star walk, only basic statistics, but others on SGL use other apps, so would look at those as well

Have fun in your quests!

Just ordered "Turn Left at Orion" although it is being shipped from the USA to the UK so I'll have to wait a little fpr it to be delivered. Sadly I don't have a clever phone although I'll certainly bear that in mind when I get a new one!

Archived