Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar filter

Atacamallama

I have just bought a sheet of Baader solar filter to make a solar filter, but the instructions are all in German which despite my GCSE A star in German is a bit of an effort to get through. Is there any info on how to rig this up on the web? The supplier have promised to send the English instructions which they usually do, but the post being what it is, and today looking like it might even be sunny.....

I found this page helpful when making mine:

Baader Planetarium - making of an inexpencive filter cell

If you've got a Newtonian, then the details about making a smaller hole should be followed if you are looking to photograph the results.

I would also recommend 'defluffing' any cardboard you use as I found my tube filled with cardboard dust fairly quickly after making it.

I used paper card, rather than cardboard, it is sturdy enough for the task and makes cutting the solar film a doddle, as I cut the film whilst it was laid between the 2 sheets of card. I then cut the middle section out of the card circles. No 'fluff' contamination has occurred.

Archived