NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Finally, Saturn!!

crabbiT Scot

What a morning!!

I set the alarm for 5am today, as the weather forecast was goooood! I actually jumped out of bed with anticipation, had a look out of the window, and unbelievably, the weather people got it right - a clear morning!!

Quickly got some warm gear on, as I could see the frost outside and quickly assembled the scope outside to cool while I had my 1st cuppa tea of the day while having a look at Stellarium to make sure I was gonna be able to find it. Some might remember a post I made a couple weeks back, where I got up at 5am, only to stand outside for nearly 2 hours, not having a clue where Saturn was - well this wasn't happening today!!

I strolled outside, and began scouring the sky, for what seemed like an age. Then, there it was. The most beautiful, awe inspiring thing I have seen through my scope so far. I just can't believe how beautiful she is!!! I could clearly make out the disc, and of course the ring system. For a while I thought I could see a dark band over the planet, and eventually realised, this was the ring system passing in front. Seeing the ring in front of the planet, made it even more amazing in my eyes. I also thought I could see the ring division, but maybe my eyes were playing tricks? I also saw 4 points of light in a V shape away from the disc, maybe some moons? I'll need to check on Stellarium.

Well, I'm warbling on now, so I'll leave it at that. I just wanted to share my experience. Truely stunning. For anyone who has recently taken up this hobby like myself, and has a shiny new scope, I urge you to get up early and see this beauty!!!! It will be worth falling asleep at work for. It's a sight you will never forget :)

Thanks for reading,

Scott

Good stuff Scott, I was planning to share in ths same feeling this morning but I got up slightly later than you 5:15 but the cloud moved in over Aberdeen before I got a chance to see Saturn.

On the caffine big style now though!

Cheers

Ian

I'm in Stonehaven!!! The cloud came in just after 6, by which time I had to get ready for work anyway.

Yes, 3rd cup of coffee today!

Nice one must have been a great feeling, I didn't realise it was going to be such a fine morning and so was up at the normal time. Had a look at Venus through my bino's (haven't a proper scope yet.) which was just a very bright blob. :) After looking at Stellarium this morning I realise I'd probably seen Saturn without knowing it.

So may thanks for the heads up.. I'll try tomorrow with my spotting scope.

Another special object off the list Scott, I am sure you'll never forget seeing it! Saturn is many people's favourite object to observe and its clear why that is! :)

Still waiting to see it through the scope myself this time round but I believe it will be coming into view at a more reasonable hour as the weeks pass by.

Alan

Archived