Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nice 'semi' clear night finally..

nathuk

With a few clouds dotted around I finally had a chance to get out the telescope I got as a Birthday present.

It was fantastic! With the Barlow lense that came with it as well as the 10mm, the craters on the moon looked breathtaking for the first time looking through a proper telescope!

Hoping my 70mm will possibly see Saturn and its moons, any tips you can give me would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Hopefully the clouds aren't planning anything!

If you don't mind me asking.. where do you go to Stargaze as I tried it from the back garden last night and it was OK but couldn't see ridiculous amount.

If I want N or E I view from my back garden (which is relatively secluded). If I want S or W, I have to make do with my front garden which is right by the road so I get pedestrians ("what yer doin?"), street lights, car headlights and the occasional police vehicle that looks at me suspiciously (the occupants, not the car!)

Too bad that it is near to full Moon, otherwise I'd be making the most of any clear skies that come along. I am not really a big lunar observer and prefer the hunt out the DSO's that moonlight hides :)

We had a semi-clear night and I did try some observing but the cloud cover was present at all times, plus the seeing was appalling so I couldn't even get some decent double star observations done. I tried but could barley split Castor at 200x it was that bad, collimation was sot on before leaving the house and the 'scope had cooled for around an hour. Defocused stars looked like little donuts at the bottom of a pool.

Well I only have a 70mm so I hope I will be able to see some interesting things, really should start reading the beginner's help forum :)

Unless you guys may have any recommendations of anything I will be able to look at with my 70mm.

Can only imagine what people are like walking past your front garden Demon :D

Archived