NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Interested in attending...

Hi folks

Sorry for the dumb newbie questions :-)

I'm really interested in making it along to a star party this year as they look like a great fun way to meet fellow astro-geeks and learn a lot more than chatting about things on forums (as much fun as that is :-)

I'm afraid I'm getting a teensy bit confused with all the acronyms and different names for all these events...

I know there is a big event at the end of March/beginning of April in Norfolk (which'd be very hand as I'm in Suffolk) but having looked at the website for it... there's actually very little info for the newcomer who hasn't been before and I have no idea if it's already 100% booked (I assume it may be?)

Is this the biggest UK event? Are there other official SGL events through the year? Are there any later in the year than April? I used to be happy enough to spend a couple of nights in a tent in April for my hobbies, but you get to a certain age where that just doesn't seem much like fun any more... and I don't think I can afford to buy a telescope AND a caravan this year :-)

Is there an events calendar maintained anywhere that lists all of these sort of events, their dates, venues and booking details?

Many thanks in advance for your help folks!

Ben

The official SGL star party, known as SGL6 as it's the 6th one, is at the end of March in Herefordshire. Booking arrangements will be posted quite soon so watch out for those.

Many SGL members attend other star parties as well such as Keilder, Sailisbury and Kelling Heath (which is Norfolk I believe) but SGL6 is the official SGL one that is organised by the forum.

I've been for the past couple of years and had 100% clear nights - that can't last, can it ?!

There will be a few of us from this forum going to the Norfolk star party this March/April I reckon. I went for the first time last year and had a fantastic time observing the spring galaxies, and meeting fellow SGLers.

Give the camp site a ring, they might still have some pitches left.

If you get there, we can meet up for a chat.

I'm gonna call the campsite tomorrow and try and book up...

keeping fingers crossed.

I did consider SGL6 but Hereford is a good 5hr drive from Suffolk and I need to leave early Sunday and be back by late morning so that'd involve a 5am or so start from Hereford!

Not fun if I've been up all night observing :-)

I think I'll stick with Norfolk for now as it's only an hour and a half to the Kelling site.

Cheers all... hopefuly see some of you there!

Ben

This may seem a silly question but....

Assuming it may well be 100% booked up by now, is it totally impossible to stay anywhere else nearby and still come along for the observing?

I assume, to keep numbers on site reasonable you can only be involved if you have been lucky enough to book a space in the campsite?

Just a thought as I'm guessing, having looked back through past threads, there's next to no chance of there being any space there when I call tomorrow.

Ben

You never know - they do get cancellations. Also a week or two before the event you'll someitmes see members who can't go, selling their pitches in the for sale section. You'll have access to that half way through Feb :)

On the main weekend it's usually a public event and anyone can go in for a look around at the trade stands and to talk to astonomers. First time we went there we slept in the carpark (in the car of course lol) but spent half the night wondering round chatting with campers and being invited to look through their gear.

If you're staying down the road somewhere there's still plenty of ways to be involved. A bit nearer the time I'll be starting a Kelling chat thread in the star party section - so pop in and stay in touch with us - I'm happy to be your first contact if you can make it :)

About the only other acronym used in addition to 'SGL6' is 'SSP', which is Salisbury Star Party.

As far as time of year is concerned, star parties are usually planned for spring or autumn in order to avoid long, light summer evenings.

Yes, they do get cold; so cold that there's usually lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth about it, but also LOTS of tips on how to keep warm, whether it be clothing, bedding, or even suitable heaters for tents!

The other 'protection' against the cold comes in a bottle, usually an amber liquid.

Dana

Well, I have a pitch booked!

Kelling said thay actually still have fairly good availability for the event, which is great. I am considering inviting a friend along too.

It's our baby daughter's first mothers day on the Sunday so I can't stay Sunday night and will need to leaver early Sunday morning... but I have Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights all booked!

Quite excited now... just need to get a tent, a new sleeping bag, some warm clothes.... and... oh yeah, a telescope :-)

Ben

The official SGL star party, known as SGL6 as it's the 6th one, is at the end of March in Herefordshire. Booking arrangements will be posted quite soon so watch out for those.

!

would love to go to this, never been to a star party before, the annoying thing is i dont drive & i only live down the road in gloucester, maybe i will strap my scope to my back and hike there lol

Archived