Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Horsehead and flame DSLR version

decoyp

I've just finished messing about with some DSLR subs from last week of horsehead and flame. I couldn't see any of the horsehead in the LCD screen on the camera no after I had stacked the images. To be honest I didn't expect much because my camera is not modified for Ha. But I'm am surprised and quite pleased with the final result.

It's nothing compared to recent images of the same target from Dave moulton and Werner (and others). Congradulation BTW they're fantastic and out class my image by a long way.

All in all, don't think its too bad for a first go. As always I think i need more data. Another week of moonless clear night should do it !!

Stack of 38 x 5.5 min. Dark frames subtracted. There is some vertical banding which I cannot get rid of ... any tips welcome ..

Thanks for looking

Richard ..

post-17356-133877518761_thumb.jpg

Very nice image .. The vertical banding... what are you post processing the images in... if its Adobe PS or CS then have a look at Noel Carbonis Astro Actions...

Astronomy Tools Action Set by ProDigital Software

$21.95 well spent...

I took the liberty of running the jpeg you posted through the Vertical Noise Banding Removal Action...

Horsehead%2Bflame-1%20NCAA.jpg

Billy...

Cheers Billy. I tried Noels action stuff on this image but didn't seem to shift the banding. Perhaps I've just stretched the contrast too far and maybe need more data to compensate. Perhaps I've tried to get too much out of it.

I'm using PS CS2 at the mo and nebulosity2 .

Works best if applied fairly early and especially before rotating the image... if you have rotated the image drag a vertical ruler onto the imaeg and roatet the image so the lines are vertical or horizontal - when you use (no prizes for guesssing) the Horizontal noise banding tool :)

Are you using bias frames in the processing at all?

Billy...

Thanks Mark. I am going to try to improve on it a bit by reprocessing to get rid of some of the noise. Will also try out billy's suggestions.

I think more data and more darks are required though. (might even use bias and flat frames too - after I've read upon them)

Cheers

Richard

• 1 month later...

Archived