Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Huddersfield Stargazing Live event (14/01)

Tac

I attended the above event on Friday and have to write to just say what a superb evening it was. The sky was as clear as anyone could have hoped for and it wasn't too cold either.

There must have been 150+ people turn up and those at the back of the queue must have had an 1 1/2 to 2 hours wait to get to look through the Observatory's 16" Meade LX-200-ACF. This was looking at the Orion Nebula. A very informative input from one of the societies members and then we all got a turn to look through the scope. What a fantastic sight it was and just what someone looking to take up the hobby would want to see.

I then got my new purchase out (Revelation 15x70 bins) and looked at the Orion Nebula whilst waiting for all the others to take their turn on the scope. All I can say is WOW!!! The bins are fantastic. I could clearly see the Nebula in good detail and when the bins were held up it was like someone flicking a switch to put more stars on. My enthusiasm just grew more with that sight. I am thrilled with my purchase and for £50 you can't go wrong. Also a big thumbs up to FLO for their excellent service. Ordered at 1pm and delivered at 9am the next day.

Although the event was busy there were plenty of members on hand with scopes and bins set up to keep the crowd happy. It was a great night and has really inspired me to look up more often. I may even join the society and make use of their scopes instead of buying my own.

Thoroughly recommend the bins too!

Sounds like a terrific event - just what the hobby needed for a boost into the public domain. Glad you had good weather and a great time.

I have the equivalent Celestron 15x70's and they really can't be beaten for value at £50 (except mine cost £80 three years ago lol). Just like switching on the stars as you say - nice report! :)

I'm a bit late replying to this, but yes it was an excellent night.

I'm a member of the society and I took my 10" Dob up; which seemed to be a good way to keep the queues of people entertained.

Just in case of any potential interest: the society will be opening the observatory to the public on every (clear) night during the week commencing 21st Feb 2011. As it's more spread out, people should have chance to get a better go on the 16" Meade LX200.

If the interest is anywhere near as high as before, then it should be a good week.

Archived