Celestron Nexstar

I have just sold my Skywatcher 200p and EQ5 mount in order to buy something more portable and appropriate for dabbling in planetary photography.

I am thinking of getting either a Celestron Nexstar 4 or a Celestron SLT 127/

Any advice on these scopes and mounts would be appreciate.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the nexstar 4 has the better mount and the 127 has the better optics both are maks so will be suitable for webcam photography this one is the 127 tube on a eq mount Maksutov - Skywatcher Skymax 127 (EQ3-2) you could aways put motors on it later but admittedly its not as portable as the 2 alt az mounts. the 127 will give the brighter view the nexstar will give the steadier one

Hello Paddy...

I don't really see the point in the 5SE. the gain over the 4SE is minimal as it has a larger obstruction than the 4SE and costs a massive 260 extra. you could buy a second 5" mak for that money... crazy stuff.

I personally think Maksotuv's produce a better view than a SCT. I have owed 4 Maks and 3 SCT's,

I doubt you will notice much difference between the 4se and 5se optically, they also share the same mount

That's what I was thinking and for the extra price for the 5" I could buy a power tank, a dew sheild, dew heater and NextImage with change! - on that point, is the NexImage camera and software worth the £120 price tag or am I better off just getting a webcam?

as to the optics on the 5 they are superb as are all the nexstar scts my nexstar 5 is an older type though so the mount used is the same as the 8. the 5 also cools quicker than the 127 mak and has a slightly wider field of view and shorter focal ratio my 5 takes about 30 mins to cool down

Below is a copy of the text from another thread.

Software, i really just use/download free stuff recommended on here or search the web, i am new to it all lol

Shaun

Ok your problem is that the SPC880 doesn't work on Windows 7.

People have mentioned flashing to a SPC900 model. This in basic terms is putting new software on the webcam, so that it behaves and thinks that it is the SPC900 model. Part of the reason this is done is because the SPC880 doesn't work on Windows 7/vista etc.

This is why Morgan computers offers a flashing service:

https://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/sh...CategoryID=556

(I bought mine from them already flashed last week)

There is a way for you to do this yourself, but I can't find the thread at the moment

Yes, Keep in touch i will let you know when mine has arrived lol,

Steveangle, hi i have the same scope, but dont know too much about the eyepeice option, i have looked at the eyepiece sets from Celestron and revelation both offer 5 or six with filters etc, are they any good do you know, i dont understand about plossi, photo visual etc.

Can you help

Shaun

Unfortunetly I have never purchased the ep set, but ive seen a number of threads on here regarding them. Some people really rate them and others hate them but unfortunetly I cant comment.

Personally id prefer a smaller set of eps that get alot of use because I can almost guarentee you wont like every single one in that set. Televue have some really nice plossls and you could get 3 of them for the same price as the set. I feel you would deffinetly get more joy from looking through a few slightly better eps than a whole set of cheap ones

Steve

Archived