NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Converting Dobsonian to EQ mount

If I were (say) to get a SW 150P dob to begin with, is it easy enough to convert to an EQ mount?

It is just a case of buying the mount plus a pair of rings? How exactly is the dob mounted - are there just threaded holes or some other connectors fixed on the tube?

I looked at EQ platforms for dobs, including DIY designs but the looked just a bit too daunting for my woodworking skills. The idea would be to get a dob as a starter, then mount on something like EQ3-2 if my simple webcam images were successful enough to make me want to progress.

It's a dead cinch to retro fit the dob to the EQ. Just a set of rings and a dovetail. There are some altitude bearings fitted to the dob tube but i never bothered removing them from either the 150P or the 200P. They did restrict the movement in the tube rings but not too bothersome. Besides i still wanted to use the tube in it's original dob configuration more often than not.

The secondhand values of the EQ5 are sometimes not much higher than the EQ3-2, so definitely worth looking out for the EQ5.

You'll definitely need the Skywatcher Autofocus (electric focus) on the focuser for the imaging. Even with the EQ5.

You might look out for a Celestron CG5 mount. It's basically the same as an EQ5 but a bit more stable in my opinion. I've seen them sell for as little as £125 used (without motors). The same motors that work with the EQ5 work with the CG5.

I was thinking of upgrading to the CG5 GT given it's had a bit of a price crash lately. Being a bit of a tech fiend the idea of computerization does appeal to me. I'll be using the 150 for a while but given celestron sell it packaged with 200mm scopes is that an ideal mount/scope size pairing?

I'm thinking of this is a mid step, maybe going for a 200mm before my aim of a 350 Dob auto.

What do you think, John?

I don't know about the GOTO version as I just use the dual axis drive version.

What the major brands match with certain mounts is not a good guide really as almost invariably they will undermount a scope to get it to the market at a certain price point (in my opinion).

That said, I think a CG5 carries an 8" F/5 newtonian, an 8" F/10 SCT, or a 6" F/8 refractor fine for visual work but it's not stable enough for imaging with the same scopes - you would really need to go to an EQ6 for that.

I don't know about the GOTO version as I just use the dual axis drive version.

What the major brands match with certain mounts is not a good guide really as almost invariably they will undermount a scope to get it to the market at a certain price point (in my opinion).

That said, I think a CG5 carries an 8" F/5 newtonian, an 8" F/10 SCT, or a 6" F/8 refractor fine for visual work but it's not stable enough for imaging with the same scopes - you would really need to go to an EQ6 for that.

Excellent, cheers!

Archived