Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Barn door tracker?

GordonCopestake

Can anyone supply plans for a simple one arm barn door tracker that I could build with limited DIY skills? Assume I have one arm and maybe a hammer to assist me in my task...

I have the basic theory but the vagouries of bolt thread pitches and stepper motor hertz are beyond my sleep deprived brain at the moment so simple "buy this, bolt it here" would be good.

I know a few of you guys have built these things before (Phil?) how did you get on? Was it easy? Hard? Worth doing? My skies are orange so not sure if i'll get a long enough exposure to warrant a tracker?

Hey! That's a really good idea! I see where you're coming from here. I tried some widefields the other day. 15 second exposures produced trails at 4x, so a driven mount would be ideal for popping my camera on. Hmm... that got me thinking. Oh dear - that always leads to an overdraft bank account... damn you gordon!

:)

Andrew

Archived