not another newb!

Karl Sagan

Hello Karl,:icon_eek:

Having just checked out a light pollution map of the area west of Manchester, you may be wise to concentrate on non-deep sky objects. If I was living under such skies I would probably opt for a scope that is suitable for studying the planets, the moon, and stellar objects such as double stars and clusters, however I think the rule still applies that the bigger the aperture, the fainter the objects will be that are visible. It's just that what you see in a large telescope under heavy light-polution would be visible with a smaller one in darker skies.

Exactly - thats why I only want to concentrate on the planets. So should I go for a refractor or reflector with the same budget? The impression I have is a refractor is more suitable

What options you have depends mainly on your budget.

So what's your budget, roughly?

£200-£250 but I want a goto telescope connected to my pc.

I know I will compromise on quality of images, but my fear is that I will compromise on astronomy if I have to go outside each time I want to see something.

Its between a 70mm refractor here http://www.365astronomy.com/skywatcher-mercury707-synscan-az-goto-70mm-f700-refractor-p-2040.html or this reflector one http://www.365astronomy.com/skywatcher-skyhawk1145p-newtonian-reflector-telescope-p-2295.html

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"It had been well-understood by the scientists and philosophers of classical antiquity that the Earth was a mere point in a vast, encompassing cosmos. But no one had ever seen it as such -- here was our first chance, and perhaps also our last, for decades to come.

So, here they are -- a mosaic of squares laid down on top of the planets, and a background smattering of more distant stars. Because of the reflection of sunlight off the spacecraft the Earth seems to be sitting in a beam of light. As if there was some special significance to this small world... but it's just an accident of geometry and optics.

There is no sign of humans in this picture. Not our re-working of the Earth's surface, not our machines, not our selves. From this vantage point our obsession with nationalism is nowhere in evidence. We are too small on the scale of worlds; humans are inconsequential, a thin film of life on an obscure and solitary lump of rock and metal"

Sagan (before what he says famously on the pale blue dot video, talking about his decision to take one final snapshot as it left the galaxy)

Hi Karl, Welcome to SGL.

As others said, refractor suffers from chromatic aberration, so the image will deteriorate at high power. Hence I recommend the 102 mak which cost £5 more, because planet is usually viewed at high power.

Keith

Hi Karl, Welcome to SGL.

As others said, refractor suffers from chromatic aberration, so the image will deteriorate at high power. Hence I recommend the 102 mak which cost £5 more, because planet is usually viewed at high power.

Keith

I wrote it off because its £85 more, and perhaps more suited to terrestrial & deep sky (which I wont get in Manchester anyway)?

So its down to these 3 telescopes for me. Which one is the best for planet viewing in a light pollution area?

70.jpg

MERCURY-707 SynScan™ AZ GOTO

70mm (2.75") f/700 COMPUTERISED REFRACTOR

Please note that this scope is only available in the original Skywatcher Blue colour.

£180.00

A lighter-weight version of the SynScan AZ GoTo mount tailored for the Mercury-707 OTA. This 70mm multi-coated refractor is ideal for the novice and can be used for viewing the Moon & brighter Planets, Double-stars as well as for daytime terrestrial use

• Magnifications (with eyepieces supplied): x35 & x70

• Highest Practical Power (Potential): x140

• Objective Lens Diameter: 70mm

• Telescope Focal Length: 700mm (f/10)

• Eyepieces Supplied (1.25"): 10mm & 20mm

• Red Dot Finder

• 90° Star Diagonal (1.25”)

• SynScan™ AZ GoTo Computerised Alt-Azimuth Go-To Mount (Lightweight version)

• Power Requirement: 12v DC Power Supply (Tip Positive) or AA Batteries (not supplied)

• Aluminium Tripod with Accessory Tray

102r.jpg

STARTRAVEL-102 SynScan™ AZ GOTO

102mm (4") f/500 COMPUTERISED REFRACTOR

£265.00

An ideal instrument for the wide-field observation of Deep-Sky objects, such as Nebulae, Star Fields & Clusters and Galaxies. A useful telescope for astrophotography and also for daytime terrestrial use.

Magnifications (with eyepieces supplied): x25 & x50

Highest Practical Power (Potential): x204

Objective Lens Diameter: 102mm

Telescope Focal Length: 500mm (f/5)

Eyepieces Supplied (1.25"): 10mm & 20mm

6x30 Finderscope

45° Erect Image Diagonal (1.25”)

SynScan™ AZ GoTo Computerised Alt-Azimuth HD Go-To Mount

Power Requirement: 12v DC Power Supply (Tip Positive) or AA Batteries (not supplied)

Stainless Steel Tripod with Accessory Tray

1145.jpg

SKYHAWK-1145P SynScan™ AZ GOTO

114mm (4.5") f/500 COMPUTERISED parabolic Newtonian Reflector

£220.00

This telescope with its superb Parabolic optics provides excellent all-round performance for both the observation of the Moon & Planets and Deep-Sky objects.

• Magnifications (with eyepieces supplied): x20 & x50
  • Highest Practical Power (Potential): x228
  • Diameter of Primary Mirror: 114mm
  • Telescope Focal Length: 500mm (f/5)
  • Eyepieces Supplied (1.25"): 10mm & 25mm
  • Parabolic Primary Mirror
  • 0.5mm Ultra-Thin Secondary Mirror Supports
  • 6x24 Finderscope
  • 1.25” Rack & Pinion Focuser
  • SynScan™ AZ GoTo Computerised Alt-Azimuth HD Go-To Mount
  • Power Requirement: 12v DC Power Supply (Tip Positive) or AA Batteries (not supplied)
  • Stainless Steel Tripod with Accessory Tray

Skywatcher SynScan AZ GO-TO COMPUTERISED TELESCOPES

Welcome from a fellow newbie, I found what you said interesting thought about rulling out seeing any deep sky objects, is that becuase your 10miles outside of too much light pollution or are we doomed here in the UK to see any deep sky objects?

Welcome from a fellow newbie, I found what you said interesting thought about rulling out seeing any deep sky objects, is that becuase your 10miles outside of too much light pollution or are we doomed here in the UK to see any deep sky objects?

I will be using my scope at home in the city, and my starterscope budget wont allow me to see much else in a light polluted area.

Archived