NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Glyndwr Uni 'Stargazing Live' Event

wolfytom

I attended the above event tonight. The overwhelming aspect was the number of people who attended. The large Lecture hall was full to the rafters and latecomers had to stand at the back.

An amazing response and testimony to the power of TV.

Unfortunately, the numbers present meant I wasn't able to get into the Stardome. Would you believe they gave priority to kids! Disgraceful!

The star of the show (excuse the pun!) was Professor Andy Newsam from Liverpool John Moores Uni. He spoke with great enthusiasm about the variety of means by which we observe space, from the visual to the extraordinary information that is gathered from radiowaves and X Rays. Illustrated with fantastic photographs, his lecture was revelatory to someone as new to the subject as me.

He was followed by Dr Steve Barrett from the physics department at the University of Liverpool. He explained that he was an 'enthusiastic amateur astronomer' but the photos used to illustrate his 'Ramble through Space' suggested he was far from amateur.

It was interesting to see his personal Observatory. It's not to be called a shed, he said!

The lectures were followed by separate Q&A sessions. I chose Dr Barrett's session as he was suggesting questions about selecting scopes.

The most interesting answer, however, came in response to a question about the availability of 'cheap and easy' tracking devices. Barrett suggested only cheap or easy was available, not both!

Ahead of a trip to Africa, he explained, he had faced the quandary himself. He couldn't find a device that was cheap, easy, light and small enough to fit in a bag that would enable him to take photos of the Milky Way that were pinsharp.

So he designed and made one himself!

Unfortunately, I didn't note down the web address for his site. It has all you need to know to make one yourself for £50! It was a Liverpool Uni address but that's all I can remember. Sorry.

Email him if you want it.

So, a very interesting evening despite the cloudy stars putting an end to plans for a live gazing session and those pesky kids blocking my way into the Daresbury Labs StarLab!

Thanks Andy and Steve.

Nice report - thanks for posting it.

The "Stargazing Live" programmes and events seem to have really caught the public imagination - perhaps it's because the economic climate is a bit grim at the moment so people are glad to have something more inspirational to think about !.

I wonder if Dr Barrett's tracking device was based on the "scotch mount" ?

I missed the event :D but am glad it was a success...looks like the "Stargazing Live" programs really got people fired up...I know they worked on me!

Thanks Tom for the link, you just beat me to it :icon_eek: as well.

Daf

Thanks Andy and Steve for writing that - I felt I was battling away with you there! :icon_eek::D Just goes to show that no matter how you think you know there is always something out there that's new or different and is what makes astronomy so interesting.

Would be a bit of a shame if you couldn't find another event with better skies. Although the BBC project only lasts for two weeks, it is worth checking with local astro societies or observing groups to see when they are holding their next public observing session which are held regularly at this time of year.

Clear skies

James

Archived