NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Clavius - ED80

mightymonoped

Saso,

Sorry, I forgot to mention this and it is important..

If you are trying to do prime focus imaging with the ED80, it will NOT achieve focus unless you use an extension tube or a diagonal.

My preference is to not use the diagonal as it's just one more thing between the light and the imaging chip.

I recently bought an 80mm Revelation Extension Tube for £17 (features in Dec Sky at Night mag) and it works just fine with the ED80.

If you don't have an extension tube but do have a Televue Barlow then you can unscrew the actual lens element of the Barlow and just use the Barlow's tube as an extension tube, it means that you can't use that particular Barlow in your imaging, but you can always plonk another Barlow into your improvised extension tube :)

Another alternative is to buy something like Moonfish's 2" ED Barlow, this gives you all kind of options, you can use it as an extension tube and use your existing Barlows, or simply use it as a Barlow!

There, that's the end of my Blue Peter lecture on how to do ED80 imaging with the minimum amount of expenditure :lol:

Tony

Just found this tucked away in a corner on my laptop. I think it's using a TAL 3x Barlow in the Revelation extension tube.

Probably pushing it a bit too far for the ED80 given the conditions, but I've just done a quick bit of slightly overblown processing and thought it was worth plonking on here. OK, it's not a 12" lightbucket, but the little ED80 is a great all round scope IMHO.

Tony

post-12982-133877325297_thumb.jpg

Archived