Buying advice

First time poster here, I've not owned a telescope for most of my adult life but had one as a young teenager and greatly enjoyed it. I really want to start again and after purchasing a few books, attending a local meet and researching on the Internet I'm about ready to purchase a scope. My budget is £250, not much I know, and I've narrowed down to these two (I hope):

Skywatcher Startravel 120 (AZ3)

Or

Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2

My main focus is to view both near and far objects but not necessarily to photograph.

Any advice greatly appreciated, thank in advance.

Welcome to SGL from me too !

Of the 2 scopes you mention, I'd probably go for the Skywatcher Explorer 150P - on the EQ3-3 mount. It's a very good scope (more than a starter scope really) and you can add some bits and pieces later if you were interested in getting started in astro-photography.

The Startravel 120 is also fine but has a few compromises which make it more suitable for a 2nd scope (many folk own more than one !).

Hope that helps.

Welcome to the forum.

When you say near and far, are we talking use as a daytime spotter too? In which case, the Startravel wins for that.

But the Startravel is the last scope on earth you would want to use for viewing the planets......it's really not very good at that job. A £50 Lidl special will do better. But it is superb for sweeping the heavens with a low to medium power eyepiece.

The 150P is vastly superior when it comes to the solar system and just as good for sweeping the heavens.

Welcome to the forum.

When you say near and far, are we talking use as a daytime spotter too? In which case, the Startravel wins for that.

But the Startravel is the last scope on earth you would want to use for viewing the planets......it's really not very good at that job. A £50 Lidl special will do better. But it is superb for sweeping the heavens with a low to medium power eyepiece.

The 150P is vastly superior when it comes to the solar system and just as good for sweeping the heavens.

Sorry, what I meant was looking at planets but also being able to see the odd nebula or two, definitely not using it for the daytime. Thanks for the advice, I'm leaning towards the reflector now.

Archived