NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cheap scope case anyone...

Blackheart

Hi all

Anyone looking for a cheap case for a small Mak?

Lidls have some nice tool boxes for sale at 12.99. I bought a similar case for a Skywatcher 127 Mak (£26.00 from B&Q) which takes the OTA beautifully. This seems to be a similar size so I have bought one for the base and finder. There are also some nice little lidded boxes for accessories although they are a little shallow for a standard eyepiece bolt case.

Might be worth a quick look as they only keep these items in for a week or so...

Cheers

BH

Hi all

Anyone looking for a cheap case for a small Mak?

I bought a similar case for a Skywatcher 127 Mak (£26.00 from B&Q) which takes the OTA beautifully.

Cheers

BH

Can you tell me more about the B&Q boxes. I would like something for my 127. WHat did you do about foam protection?

Thanks.

Here are a couple of photos of the 127 in the case. I just cut some foam to line the box (an old mattress from my son's cot!). The scope sits in there really nicely and the accessories fit nicely in the boxes incorporated into the lid.

B&Q do two boxes in this style, not sure of the sizes but one is longer and thinnner while this one is shorter but a few cm wider.

The one in Lidls looks about the same size but not had chance to stand them next to each other yet.

Hope this helps

BH

post-18662-133877516504_thumb.jpg

post-18662-13387751651_thumb.jpg

I just cut some foam to line the box (an old mattress from my son's cot!)

Just be a little careful with upholstery foam -- most of it out-gases for some years and some of the gases can damage some optical coatings. If you see changes occurring, best to get rid of the foam you are using.

FWIW, the best foam to use for most optical stuff is High Density Polyethylene. It is fairly rigid and you can saw, cut, drill, chisel it etc to shape it as required. It can also be bonded using a heat gun. Only source I know of that will do small bits for the sort of applications we use it for is PolyFoam in Parkstone, Poole.

Archived