SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Maybe binoculars the way forward?

the lemming

Hello

Last week I asked for some advice on buying my first telescope and I received some very helpful advice on which models to consider.

At the time some people suggested that maybe I should set my sights on a pair of binoculars rather than beginning my exploration of the night's sky with with an expensive telescope. After a bit more reading on various websites, and reigning in my impulse to buy shiny things, I think that it would indeed be better to buy a pair of binoculars. Why start running when I haven't learned how to walk yet?

I would be most grateful if somebody could recommend a specific brand or even magnification of binoculars to use.

At the moment I own a pair of 10 x 42 birding binoculars and a Manfrotto photography tripod with a max height of 1.78 meters. I'm hoping that I can mount the binoculars onto the tripod.

The Bino's you have should give you some nice views. You don't mention the type, are they roof (thin) or porro (chunky and the more traditional look) prism ? All my porro prism bino's have a mounting thread under a cap on the central pivot. Unscrew that cap, attach the correct bracket, fix it to the tripod and you're away... I don't know if you can do the same thing with roof prism bino's.. You can't with the ones we have...

Are you after small, easy to hold binoculars like a pair of 7x50 or 10x50, although the 10x42 should already be good at this size. Or are you after a pair of large binoculars like 15x70 or larger?

Sorry

Forgot to say what I was hoping to get from my binoculars. The 10x42's are Viking Roof bino's and are good for holding and seeing stuff quickly.

I'm hoping that the next purchase will fit onto my tripod and allow me to see the planets as well as finding deep space stuff.

Cheers

Binoculars will give you a limited view of the planets. The magnification is low. Jupiter appears as a small featureless disk with the 4 moons in my 15x70 (and also the 20x80). While Saturn just appears as an odd shaped disk.

There are the zoom binoculars but they are pretty much a no no. Various problems, even on a good brand pricey models. Field of view is tiny, image quality poor. Best to give a wide berth.

But deepsky is very enjoyable with the 15x70's and 20x80's. While the 25x100 model that a club member owns are superb. Back in the summer these gave a view of the M31 and Comet Hartley that was more pleasing than in any of the scopes. I'm always amazed just how good and just how much i can see with my 15x70's. And they are not too heavy, best on a tripod but i use them handheld.

I got my 15x70s last summer, and they have become quite a workhorse. Really good views, and quite affordable. They are not a replacement for a telescope in planetary views, but really nice on DSOs. Some of these (Celestron, I am looking at you) come with a plastic tripod adapter, which is useless. My Omegon (Celestron/Revelation clone) came without, and I just got a metal adapter, which is much better.

At the time some people suggested that maybe I should set my sights on a pair of binoculars rather than beginning my exploration of the night's sky with with an expensive telescope. ...

At the moment I own a pair of 10 x 42 birding binoculars and a Manfrotto photography tripod with a max height of 1.78 meters. I'm hoping that I can mount the binoculars onto the tripod.

First of all, I'd suggest turning your enthusiasm down to low and taking a couple of let's think about this dispassionately pills¹ :)

Since you already have a pair of bino's, stick 'em up on your tripod and take a look. In particular, consider your viewing position and ask yourself: how long would you be comfortable in that pose? Also (I know it sounds pretty obvious) but try using your bino's to look at stuff directly overhead - still comfortable?

If you ever get a clear sky, take that setup outside. Do the stars you can see stay stable - or do they jitter about when there's a breeze, or if you touch the binoculars (sat to tweak the focus, or just accidentally). How long does it take for the view to settle back down. Did you try that while looking overhead?

I recall back in the 60's being given exactly the same advice when I started astronomy, as a lad: to start with binoculars and see how I got on³. Back then, the cost of telescopes was astronomical for what you got. Binoculars, however were available cheaply as WW2 surplus equipment. Since then, the game has changed a lot, but the advice doled out has remained largely unquestioned. A £100 'scope and mount off eBay is far superior to what would have cost a month's wages back then - in size, quality and features. You also now have the option of selling a piece of kit (again on eBay or an astro forum) if you conclude it wasn't right for you. So, the outlay is less, the risk can be mitigated and the range of choices is far, far greater. My advice would be to not take any advice, but to see what you think of your existing binoculars, consider for yourself whether a £100 'scope will be as useful to you as a £100 pair of bino's (though don't forget you'll need a mount for them, too) and then remember that a telescope allows you to buy a lot of extra toys: extra eyepieces, filters, Barlows, spotter scopes, and such. If you do get bitten by the astronomy bug you'll almost certainly end up with both telescopes (plural) and binoculars - the only variable will be the order in which you buy them.

[1] don't really do this :evil6::eek:

[2] other opinions are equally valid

[3] I ignored it then and would do today, too

Archived