Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 syntrek VS HEQ5 + mod

simplybob

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about getting a HEQ5 mount but not sure if I should get the standard, or the syntrek version.

If I get the standard version, I would probably do the mod to the dual axis controller to add an autoguide port. However I presume the motors in the standard version, are different to the stepper motors included in the syntrek version. Therefore I'm wondering if there is any significant difference in the modded versions or the syntreks versions abilities to autoguide?

Who here has a modded or syntrek HEQ5, and what do you think of them?

Cheers,

Bob.

As I understand it the Syntrek one comes with the same motors and circuitboard as the Pro Goto version, so they are better (as in will slew faster), and should have a finer resolution for autoguiding purposes. The standard HEQ5 motors will only slew at up to 16X sidereal rate, and the slowest guide speed for autoguiding is 2x.

Also the Syntrek should allow the use of EQMOD for computer control. I'm sure someone who actually has this kit will be able to say for sure :)

I have the SynTrek, it's all setup and ready for guiding with the decent stepper motors from the SynScan/Pro version installed. The only thing missing from the Syntrek to make it Synscan is the goto handset. I use EQMOD and computer control to provide my goto, and guiding, and that needed an extra cable which was about £20... to convert USB to RJ45 (and a bit of soldering, and bravery when I plugged it in for the first time in case I'd messed it up :) ).

I've just gone over to EQMOD with my SynTrek HEQ5 and it all works "straight from the box". The cost of a decent lappy was only £100 more than the goto controller upgrade (Thanks to an Amazon sale price!!) and EQMOD has FAR more functionality than any goto handset (and its free!!) and I can download pics straight to the lappy and I have a gamepad for mount control (really cool! - seriously, really useful!!!) and..........I'm still learning...PHD guiding, polar alignment setup, drift align etc etc

I got:

Cables, Leads and Controllers - HitecAstro EQDIR adapter

From FLO. You need a USB cable as well between the adaptor and the lappy. I also bought (and recommend!) a gamepad - well worth the extra pennies as you can't operate a laptop whilst looking through the eyepiece! (unless you are extremely flexible and have three eyes!)

If you are using EQMOD you don't need any more cables - just connect the guide camera (I intend using a webcam (thanks to lukebl for that idea)) via PHD and ASCOM (you'll know what that is when you read up EQMOD) and it will guide via EQMOD.

Archived