Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS OTA or Outfit

Hello everyone.

I am looking at the Skywatcher ST 80 OTA

Pro Series - Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro OTA

or the "Outfit"

Pro Series - Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro Outfit

The "Outfit" has the addition of a 2”/50.8mm Di-Electric Star Diagonal, a (2"): 28mm LES eyepiece and a carry case.

Am I right in assuming that the OTA version doesn't come with an eyepiece? If that is the case is the eyepiece supplied with the outfit version any good?

Lastly this scope will be going on a HEQ5 mount so will the 90degree diagonal be a help or hinderance.

Thank you:)

Ive ordered the full set for delivery tmorrow, so will be posting about it with pics. I'd say its def worth it just to get the case. The eyepieces arent up to much if youre already using hyperions or any other decent eyepiece, but theyre a good place to start. The diagonals an essential addition I'd say, unless you like standing in weird viewing positions!

will post a review when i get a chance (and a clear sky).

The case is worth much of the difference, and it is nice to have the case to stop it getting trashed over time assuming you dismount it at the end of your session. The EPs aren't up to much by all accounts, so if you don't need the diagonal and finderscope, consider the more upmarket (and faster focal ratio - good for imaging) Equinox 80 instead, which comes with a case, but nothing else - for the same price as the 80ED outfit.

I initially ordered an 80ED outfit, but called up FLO and changed it to an Equinox the next day.

The only advantage the 80ed has over the equinox is that it has a perfectly matched field flattener whereas it's a bit hit and miss finding one to match the equinox. Which is why I went for the 80ed instead. There's no faulting the equinox build quality though.

The only advantage the 80ed has over the equinox is that it has a perfectly matched field flattener whereas it's a bit hit and miss finding one to match the equinox. Which is why I went for the 80ed instead. There's no faulting the equinox build quality though.

Anyone looking for a flattener for the Equinox 80ED I can recommend the Skywatcher one from FLO and all good outlets. Allows me to use the full frame of my Canon 1000D without any problems

It is however, not a reducer.

old_eyes

Archived