Ok...here we go credit card!

Hello all, I have been doing lots of reading (online and "Make every photon count") and researching equipment for the last few weeks and I think I have got it sussed.

The end goal is to do Astrophotography of dso's so with that in mind this would be my basic equipment list-

HEQ5 Syntrek

150 or 200 P DS Skywatcher Reflector

Skywatcher ST80 Guidescope

I would then also need a guidecamera and all other sorts of bits and pieces (I already own a unmodded canon 500d for the actual imaging).

Now that's a lot of expensive stuff to get all at once so I reckon I will get the HEQ5 and the ST80 refractor first and just get the hang of setting up and using that mount. I plan to use the EQMOD to control the scope (I will need a couple of other bits to use that also i know).

Does this sound like a half sensible approach or could anyone recommend another?

Thanks for having a read:)

As your final budget is unknown to me I would IMO go for an EQ6 mount, this is more expensive but future proof. I also very happily use a 50mm finderscope for autoguiding, the main advantage is its lightness, so personally I would not get the 80mm scope.

Use that money for a coma corrector for the Newt if you decide to go for that scope.

Money permitting I would get EQ6+200mm Newt + Coma corrector and with that you could start with unguided imaging.

Add a QHY5 or similar on a secondhand finderscope and decent bracket plus computer and PHD etc that would get you guiding.

Other items - dew shield (camping mat!) collimation tool, Bahtinov mask - make your own and tons of patience.

my 2Ks worth :)

I think you will find the SW ED80 would be a better choice for DSO's and starting astro photography also a lot easier to move/manipulate - see the reasons in "MEPT". (This from someone who images with a 200P!! - ED80 is on the shopping list!!)

I would echo those 2 suggestions. I had the 200 + ST80 on the HEQ5 and IMO I was at the limit of the mount. An EQ6 would have sorted this. So now I use an ED80 + ST80 on the HEQ5 and it is a lot more stable. Having said that, I know others have used your suggested setup and are quite happy with it.

So, if you can afford an EQ6 then do it. I can almost guarantee that if you buy the '5 you will sooner or later wish you had bought the '6. I know I do!

Steve

If I had an observatory or a fixed pier, I would have wanted the NEQ6, however, given that I have to lug everything 20 yards across the garden, in the dark, I'm happy with my HEQ5 as it is 10Kg lighter than the NEQ6. I probably save another few kg on the ED80 vs 200PDS, and need 5kg less counterweight too. YMMV

Thank you all for your advice. I will go with the 80 Ed ds pro instead of the reflector. I will order soon from FLO or wait till 50 posts and have a look in the for sale section here.

Thanks again:hello2::)

Archived