Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Setting up a SPC900 webcam

vulcan

As there was a relativley clear new moon last night, I thought I would try out my new Philips SPC900 webcam with my NexStar 6se. I was viewing the image on my MacBook using Equinox 6. I had great difficulty getting a focussed image. I tried attaching the webcam directly to the scope and also via the star diagonal but I don't understand where the focal plane is supposed to be. By using the webcam without the star diagonal and the tube almost fully out of the holder, I got the best focus but it was very soft. Not at all like the beautiful image I was getting in the eyepiece. Any tips appreciated.

Try using a Bhatinov mask for focussing. You can get extenders to set the camera back from the telescope for prime focus photography so your focus knob will have more throw.

You'll need to stack all your frames in "Registax" which will also align them, and then process in PhotoShop if you have it (or download a free one like "Gimp"). Registax is also free. Then you can sharpen the image up a bit and tune the colours. :)

(someone with more experience will elaborate for you)

You will find that the initial view does appear soft and lacking in detail and contrast, but it is the stacking process which miraculously brings out the detail. A while back i posted an example of a single frame together with the finished stacked result, and the difference in detail and quality was amazing. Not sure where i posted it, but i'll do a bit of a search.

Takes a bit of practice, but you'll get there.

Archived