Synscan AZ Goto Questions

Really appreciate the help I've had here.

But I have more questions. :)

The Synscan mount came with a compass, but the manual does not seem to refer to it. Does the telescope need to be set up pointing to North?

I want to alter the rate of slewing, but when press rate it just jumps between 2 and 9 - what else do I need to do?

Finally (for now) for star alignment it says "enter daylight saving". What is the proper response (I live in the U.K.) and does it change with time of year?

Sorry for so many questions...they probably won't be the last!

I think that the scope now starts from a position of pointing North, however a compass points to magnetic north not due North, think about 4-5 degrees difference. But probably better then guesswork.

A bubble level would be more useful to get the base and whatever else level.

The speed jumping from 2-9 I have read of that problem on SGL about 6-8 weeks ago. Not sure what the cause and so fix was. Someone else should recall.

DST is the same as British Summer Time. At this time we are not on BST so DST is No.

When we move the clocks forward in March then DST will be Yes.

I think that the scope now starts from a position of pointing North, however a compass points to magnetic north not due North, think about 4-5 degrees difference. But probably better then guesswork.

A bubble level would be more useful to get the base and whatever else level.

The speed jumping from 2-9 I have read of that problem on SGL about 6-8 weeks ago. Not sure what the cause and so fix was. Someone else should recall.

DST is the same as British Summer Time. At this time we are not on BST so DST is No.

When we move the clocks forward in March then DST will be Yes.

The scope only points north after a sucessful alignment followed by a 'park scope' function. The idea being that you can park the scope, switch off, go away and comeback later. Provided you don't move the scope or mount, on switch on you can 'Resume from Park' and don't need to re-align. The mount can be pointed in any direction when starting because the alignment process takes care of that.

This mount already has a simple bubble level.

Dave...

check out youtube. put in "az synscan goto" and there is a good description by "astronmy and adventure" on how to set up the scope. very easy to follow, it must be as i managed to do it!!

The mount will track well as long as the initial alignment is carried out accurately. During alignment I start with a 25mm ep to locate the object then a 9mm ep to center the object.

Brett

Archived