How to focus Binoculars

was just wondering what the best method is for focusing a pair of binoculars. Do you close your right eye, get a crisp image and then adjust the right focus in the same manner?

I'm tending to come off feeling quite short sighted after a short period of observing so not sure if I'm straining my vision unnecessarily.

To avoid eye strain you'll want to adjust the focus of the binoculars the same way you adjust the reticle on a rifle scope. Look at a very distant object (stars work well), pull the binoculars up so you can see the same object through them. You probably will notice your eyes adjust focus. Keep changing the focus of the binoculars until your eyes no longer have to change focus between visual stars and binoculars. Its likely left and right eyes will have slightly different focus point, so if your binoculars have that feature adjust them independently.

One really awful problem with most binos I have used is that the centre focusing system shows far too much play. I go through the prescribed procedure, first focusing the one eye, then adjusting the diopter adjustment until both are in focus. Then your glasses nudge the rear of the binos and I can go through the process again.

I should get individually focusing binos!

Post #4 agree entirely, individual eyepiece adjustment is much more

robust with no play. Ideal for astronomy, as we do not keep refocusing

for near and far, as with birding etc.

Unfortunately they are hard to come by in smaller sizes like 10 x 50s.

Regards, Ed.

Post #4 agree entirely, individual eyepiece adjustment is much more

robust with no play. Ideal for astronomy, as we do not keep refocusing

for near and far, as with birding etc.

Unfortunately they are hard to come by in smaller sizes like 10 x 50s.

Regards, Ed.

APM makes them in 10x50 and 7x50, as do Williams Optics.

APM makes them in 10x50 and 7x50, as do Williams Optics.

Is it possible to buy Williams Optics bins in the UK, have one of their scopes and it it so well built I thought I'd have a look at their bins. So any dealers in the UK, there are plenty doing scopes but I can't find anyone doing bins.

Cheers

Neil

Post #6, thanks for that info! Ed.

Edit : Just found William Optics 10 x 50 bins for £199 at our sponsors, FLO.

Exactly what I've always wanted !

You're welcome.

They are supposed to be good. I am considering to replace my bins by a WO or APM 10x50 and APM 15x70 in due course.

Cheers,

Michael

Archived