NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Any Advice please guys???

MoonMadAsh

Hi Ash and welcome to SGL :)

First thing you need to do is look at the different types of scope available, their strengths and weaknesses, and very importantly, how they are mounted. Different scopes/mounts are used for different stuff and there is no single all rounder.

Check out the primers and tutorials section - give yourself lots of time to read books and magazines, and absorb - I did this for 3 months before getting my first scope. It's a technical subject sure, but not really that hard once you're familiar with a few basics.

If you still want to look at moon/planets only, then you'll find a long f-ratio Cassegraine type scope will probably fit the bill. However, you may decide you want to see deep sky objects (dso's) too, or even do a bit of photography, so a specific mount type will be needed (equatorial).

And remember - the only daft question is the one you didn't ask :D

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ash, serious advice here absolutely dont rush in and buy some nutso scope at the off. I have seen sooooo many people do that and then find the cant get ln with either the scope or even the hobby.

Bear in mind most astro kit has a second user value of around 50% and dont spend more than you can afford to lose.

I have seen people come into this lark and buy ghe biggest scope available only to find out its just umananageable. Problem is when you try and sell large scopes there are very few takers because the more experienced users with cash to burn either already have something as good or better or dont want it because they know its too big and heavy etc.

Please get out, see a few scopes, gake your time, the moon and stars arent going anywhere in the next few billion years.

Ash, your enthusiasm is infectious!

Definately go and join a stargazing club/astro society and get them to let you have a go on their scopes then you can pick which one you like. Going to a shop is great but there's no substitute for trying one out at night. You might find you want more than one telescope each for different things, loads of us here have more than one scope and if you have the ££ why the hell not?

Good luck matey!

agrred with the 2 above comments, dont rush, buy a pair of bins, download stellarium and have a look round...familiarise yourself with the sky. then go and have a look at some scopes. id reccomend a farly small newtonion or dobsonion reflector to "bed yourself in" to using a scope. im still learning and im glad ive only got a small scope as its easy to use and transport etc.

Definitely go to a local club and view through some scope first, then get a pair of binocular to learn the sky. The CPC800 is a nice scope, but probably the most anyone should spend as a first scope. Gradually, you will find your interest and can invest in optics better suited for the task.

Large apo refractors and maks are better suited for planets, while reflector is better for deep sky. Small Apo is good for widefield while SCT is more general purpose ...

wow thank u all ever so much for ur kind advise and words im slowing downa little bit now im just soo absessed with what i have seen so far.i have contacted a local club today and they are having an abservation this SAT/SUN as the weather is looking promising so maybe ill find some answers and un cover alot more so thank u all so much lets hope i get going soon i cant stay out of the picture forums i need to get out of the house or ill have moon brain or something haha thanks guys

Archived