Webcam and Binoculars...

Hi Folks,

I managed to get a really good look at Jupiter last night through my new SkyMaster binoculars, I was amazed!

I could clearly see Jupiter and four moons, two close at the bottom right, and two further apart at the top left. I couldn't see any surface detail or colours of the planet though.

There were three stars in a triangle around it, I couldn't quite work on using Stellarium what these were. Sellarium seemed to say that Uranus should be around where I was looking too, but I couldn't see it.

Is there anyway of hooking up a webcam to the binoculars to get pictures of what I am looking at? I am not after perfect pictures, but some sort of generic tube-type adaptor would be good just so I can record something :)

Thanks!

i was playing about trying to do this hook up, work in progress, however if you have the bins mounted on a sturdy tripod you can hold a digital camera to the eye piece cup and get some pics, i have an old sony cybershot phone with good camera and it works a treat

You could also try a Universal Digital Camera Adapter. You can easily mount one onto the EP of a pair of bins and then mount the webcam/digicam onto the platform provided on the adapter which will hold the webcam upto the EP on the bins.

It will give you some results. The adapter i think only costs about £30.

It will only work if you have the bins on a tripod. Hand held it simply wont work.

The position of Jupiter's moons change quite rapidly, treat yourself to a current copy of the Sky at night mag and there is a chart showing the position of the moons relative to the planet, for each day of the week.

Archived