SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

fast newtonians under light polluted skies

Erwin Kats

Hello,

is there some one that has experience with fast newtons under light polluted skies?

at the moment i use a 8'' f4, i would like to go 12'' f3,6 or f3,8.

but, it gathers some more light but the overall focal length is

i live under very light polluted skies, and i am just asking myself if upgrading to a fast newton is good, or will it be disapointing.

during the next clear night ( maybe in about 5 months? ) i will do some measurment from the background noise / adu.

kind regards, Erwin

Hi Erwin,

Just upgraded recently to SW250pds from SW200P, live under morderately polluted skies (can just make out all ursa minor stars bar 1 if that helps judge level), only used a couple of times due to weather, managed to have a look at couple Messier objects and yes could see improvement in terms of some dimmer stars. Difference wasnt dramatic but certainly noticable. In terms of LP guess there is a 'limiting magnitude' hence for me dont think would see much beenfit for myself going up due to this.

Having experienced this I'm happy with upgrade, but due to portability and beenfits personally wouldnt upgrade my kit apeture wise any further.

Jamie

This is counter intuitive, the faster optics will be better for imaging as you will reach a higher signal to noise (LP) ratio more quickly. You'll still have to deal with gradients and high overall background, very familiar to me here in Liverpool :eek:

Rob

Archived