Ideal starter set up ?

I know from a few posts already received that a phone call to FLO is in order on Tuesday or if anyone from that store comes on here a PM would be nice.

However before I do that I need my appetite wetting and just wondered what members thoughts would be on the type of set might be best for me ( don't worry I won't hold anyone ) .

I would like to use my camera so one suited to camera adaption is needed. I've been to told to stay clear of " Go to" models ?

And I have a budget of around £600 approx.

The other very confusing issue is Reflector or Refractor ?

I wait in anticipation your replies

Richard

There is no such animal as the do-all telescope so you would be after the best compromise. I would suggest:

Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 150P OTA

on a:

Skywatcher - Skywatcher HEQ5

This gives you an exellent (upgradeable)mount for astro photography and a decent 150mm reflector telescscope (200mm may be better but would be well over budget). Going for the "better" mount is deliberate as this makes your purchase rather more "future proof" than buying an EQ3 or EQ5 type mount - especially if you are interested in astrophotography.

Before you "Stay clear of a goto" go read a thread on here a few weeks back.

They aren't quite the machinery of the devil that they are made out to be. Actually most people that have them like them a lot and if you cannot find that elusive object but my goto can, who has the best set up?

And if you go down the astrophotography line then you will have a full goto system to do it. Handset, motors, computer, the works.

See my sig, its not the greatest setup ever but it keeps me happy!! Buy secondhand if you can you`ll save a packet...

T x

Do you have a used section on this forum ?

Hi Richard, you need 50 posts and one month of active membership before the For Sale section becomes available, I've got about another 2 weeks to wait :eek:, although I've ordered my scope from FLO I'm sure I'll soon be spending more.

Astro buy and sell is also a great place to pick up second hand items, there is less trust than when buying from members of SGL so i will normally pay the pay pal fee's for payment protection, but never had any problems.

I've been to told to stay clear of " Go to" models ?

Hi Supercharged, can I ask why? For astro imaging they are not able to give good results unless they are fitted with a wedge and you would no doubt get better results via a frac but you can get good shots via a webcam/dslr if its only for the planets and Moon

Alan

Hi Alan , my local photographic dealer ( the one who knows very little ) told me to stay clear ? This is one of the reasons for this post I need more info a guidance from you good people

I think its probably someone trying to advice a beginner and in many ways he is right for most people.

as a beginner the cheaper non goto scope will with larger aparture like a dob reflector will be better, but if your aim is astro photography then u would probably consider a heq5 or eq6 pro

Well he may also be an experienced astronomer and he does have a point as many have said. I only use my 925 for visual use although I did also buy a Canon 1000d to try a bit of basic astro imaging, much prefer the view through the ep though and am sticking to that. For the budget you have I would be inclined to go with the Skywatcher kit already recommended or for a go to option you could try this

http://firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=C6se

pretty good scope for a beginner, I had one myself and learnt a lot by using it.

Alan

Thank you I'll be here for the forseeable future lol, I'll probably b ordering something soon. What have you opted to go for ?

Hi Richard, I have ordered from FLO the Celestron nexstar 127 SLT (and yes, it has GOTO), although I have Stellarium on PC and google sky on my HTC I just thought it was the right choice for me. Hoping it to arrive this week. I also have an old webcam (spc880) that some of the people on here say is good for astroimaging so I will give that a go when I'm more confident.

Hope this helps

Archived