Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

dark locations?

Does anyone know of any resources that list suitable observing sites in a given area?

I could drive out to the countryside and setup my rig in a random field but I don't want to get shot by a farmer.

My back garden is ok but I don't have a 360 pitch due to buildings being in the way and being on the North side of a hill.

Doubt if there is anything that goes down to the level that I assume you want.

There are light pollution maps but they do not fine enough. I use a place occasionally that according to the LP maps is poor, but the light isn't bad and the horizons are low. So viewing is pretty good.

Since you are asking about locations there may be someone on SGL who lives close to you and may have a suggestion. But you don't list a location for yourself. :(:rolleyes:

Sorry but if asking for dark sites close to you, it sure as hell helps to have some idea of where you are. :):D

Someone may be able to help, with the above, or look for an astronomy club close enough, ask where they observe and how often. Is it only on club nights or do individuals meet up other times as well and join the club if everything is OK.

Archived