Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Changing scopes on a synscan...easy?

I am slowly narrowing my personal choice of scope, after realising that the "one scope does all" doesnt really exist, i got to wondering, 2 scopes, 1 mount. how easy is it to swap scopes on a synscan mount? a refractor to a reflector?

thanks

Mike

So long as both scopes have a mount compatible dovetail it should be a piece of cake. Usually only one or possibly two bolts to undo. But make sure the mount is rated to take the weight of both ota's. You'll have to rebalance every time you switch ota's. :(

As you will see fom their signatures most folk have more than one scope, often with only one mount. Swapping the OTA is common and is determined by whatever it is that you want to do - as you have discovered there is no such thing as a "one scope does all". Folk tend to use a "substantial" mount, permanently fixed in place , often an HEQ5 or EQ6 type (or their clones) and many have a "lesser" mount on a moveable tripod for "dark site" use. In my own case I have to contend with a couple of annoying trees in my neighbours garden so I use my tripod/EQ5 to access things when I can't see them from the observatory (I don't have a huge garden! Just moving a few feet can make all the difference!).

Thanks... thats made my decision a little bit easier just realising that i also have that option. when i decide on one scope i feel im going to miss out too much on another aspect,but, at least this makes my choice feel a little more comfortable.

Now.... i have to decide on two scopes!

Archived