Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How big is the biggest deep sky mosaic?

RyanParle

I've been messing around with the Data wizard & Mosaic functions of "The Sky 6" today and using it to create action lists for CCDC. As I started to get the hang of how it all worked I thought about going bigger and bigger each time, i was creating action lists for each object, starting with a 4 pane mosaic of M31, working up to a 16 pane mosaic of the California nebula area.

I began to think about how big the biggest deep sky mosaic was. anyone know?

I have always wanted to do a hi res widefield image of the constellation of Orion.

I had a mess around and came up with a plan for a mosaic containing 1000 panes with a field of view of 76.8 arc min x 51.5 arc min per pane

If i took 25x 5 min subs that would equate to about 125000 mins or 2083.333333333 hrs not to mention the pauses for focusing, plate solving and such!

Highly unrealistic I know, but I like dreaming!!

The biggest one I know is by Stephane Guisard of the southern milky way. I think his site is Los Cielos de Chile. It is fabulous, don't miss it.

I have nearly finished a 6 panel in HaRGB of Orion using a camera lens. My biggest is a 9 panel from Double Cluster to Heart and Soul.

Mosaics are a challenge but I am addicted to doing them!

Olly

How about Sloan or the Digital Sky Survey....?

With the UK skies over the last few years I dont plan on trying any larger mosaics again... :)

Olly you are blessed...

Billy...

Not as blessed as Stephane Guisard who is a professional astronomer in Chile but does amateur imaging as well. But I ain't complaining!

Olly

Wow, i just looked at Stephen Guisard's site that mosaic is just awe inspiring!

Fair point about the weather here in the UK, it would be a hell of a job just balancing the background alone!

This is the big challenge. PixInsight has Dynamic Background Extraction and Background Neutralization to make life easier. Other key programmes are Registar and the free Microsoft ICE.

It is not easy...

Olly

Stephane Guisard who is a professional astronomer in Chile

Stephane is actually a professional optician, which I think is even cooler than professional astronomer :)

On large mosaics though, there are several all-sky mosaics. I quite like the 2MASS one, which is taken in the infra-red at 2-microns;

http://www.ipac.caltech.edu/2mass/gallery/2mass_allskyatlas.jpg

Stephane is actually a professional optician, which I think is even cooler than professional astronomer :(

On large mosaics though, there are several all-sky mosaics. I quite like the 2MASS one, which is taken in the infra-red at 2-microns;

http://www.ipac.caltech.edu/2mass/gallery/2mass_allskyatlas.jpg

Thanks for the correction. Yes, optician is pretty cool and rather difficult!!

Olly

Archived