Baader Fringe-Killer Filter

I have a star travel 102 skycan SKYwatcher, F-5. Not hugely impressive. But views on jupiter are not amazing tbh.

I have been scrolling thorugh the forum , and came across a

Baader Fringe-Killer Filter.

http://www.nexstarsite.com/Reviews/BaaderFringeKiller.htm

This site raves about it and ive found FLO supply one for £39.00. Which isnt bad if it is really good!

As its xmas i was wondering if it is worth purchasing one to improve views on planets.

Otherwise would a light pollution filter be better?

I have a moon filter i use to look at the moon when it is really bright but when saturn etc comes up i would love to see a bit of detail in my scope.

They do clean up the image a little but don't expect miracles. We get a small improvement with our ST80 but to be honest, the £39 would be better spent by putting it towards a secondhand Skymax 90 for the Synscan mount.

If you don't mind replacing the current mount or buying a new mount, then getting a scope with more aperture is the way forward. But if you want to stay with your current mount, you could go with one of the Skymax's. I only mentioned the 90 because it's relatively cheap to buy new or secondhand. But your mount is sold new with the 127mm version, so you have that option. The 127 is a fine performer. But any of the Skymax's are going to provide a much better planetary experience compared to the Startravel 102.

If you have the money, upgrading to an 8" Newt, whether it be dobsonian mounted or EQ mounted, will be a whole different ball game. :)

What differences would them scopes give me ?

Am i best looking for a scope with more aperture ?

Would these filters help me searching for DSO's?

Excuse the questions :) (thanks russ.)

The minus violet, fringe killer and semi-apo type filters will help a bit with reducing chromatic abberation when viewing bright objects such as the moon, Jupiter etc. CA does not really affect DSO's so they won't help with that.

As Russ says, aperture is really a better investment for all round performance gains.

Sorry, i didn't answer the DSO part of the question. But John has it covered :)

Worth noting that i found a UHC and OIII filter worked well with the 102 f5. I was able to see the Veil from the backgarden when using the OIII. But the UHC was a better all round filter and worth having.

If i was to recommend one scope, it would be a Skywatcher Skyliner 200P. Great scope for any target. The optics work at a slower f6 compared to f5 of the EQ version. But you loose all the electronics, tracking and goto. Fully manual only.

Guys thanks alot. I have the goto system.

If i bought a skywatcher Maksutov scope with more aperture. Would this fit onto my goto system ?

I guess ill stick with mine scope , learn the skies and buy something better in the future. :). A filter is still on the horizen though!

Archived