Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heads up QHY 8L

Robfal

Toying with getting a new ccd and found this Cámara Luna-QHY 8L: CCD con accesorios ¡PRECIO DE LANZAMIENTO! - Lunático Astronomía

They are selling a QHY 8L (basically a QHY 8 Pro but with a different CCD) for Euro 990 (approx £850) during December. It's new on the market but sounds excellent, based on the ICX413AQ chip (used by Orion on their starshot pro camera).

I've used the company before (got one of their Seletek controllers) and they were very good with quick delivery.

Still not decided for myself. I've got an ED80 and a Skywatcher 200 DS newtonian (F5) so was really after a 285 based camera. The image scale for the QHY 8L is perhaps too big however still trying to convince myself (please feel free to try to sway me!)

Rob

(By the way, I have no connections to Lunatico, but this is an excellent deal)

The Atik 314L (285 chip) will allow you to take world class pictures in superb, easy software.

Olly

285 is 2/3" CCD and the QHY8L uses APS-C sized color CCD (size of a DSLR sensors) so two types of cameras. If you wan good mono - 285 is the solution, but for color imaging APS-C size is nice size :). QHHY did released also QHY10/12 with similar color monsters.

drivers? Check QHY forums. AFAIK some people had/have some problems with the new cameras. The drivers uses ASCOM.

I currently use an Atik 16ic with a USB filter wheel so my chosen route would be an Atik 314L (or starlight xpress H9).

Not only is it tried and tested but would give a better field of view for galaxies etc with the newtonian (or the ED80). The QHY 8L would possibly be better for nebula.

I've decided to hold out for a 285 based ccd (Possibly secondhand) and possibly get a DSLR for wide FOV.

However that is a fantastic price for such a big sensor!! I wonder if I could sweet talk the wife to let me have both...........!!!

Rob

Weeeeell, I have a 285 camera (mono) and a qhy8.

I find the versatility of the 285 to be most useful, given that I can use it with narrowband filters on the nights which have a lot of moonlight around, as well as a more pleasing view of galaxies and the like.

The QHY8 is better for a fast wide fov scope with a decent flattener, and better on moonless nights. I have had some nice results from it, but my SX H9 camera is far more versatile and more useful.

HTH

Tim

Oh, the other thing that should be mentioned is customer service and back up in case of problems. Both Atik and Starlight Express excel in that respect, but you hear stories of QHY owners having to make alterations to their own cameras :)

Oh, the other thing that should be mentioned is customer service and back up in case of problems. Both Atik and Starlight Express excel in that respect, but you hear stories of QHY owners having to make alterations to their own cameras :)

In the past that is true.

That said I have had to open mine to clean the CCD as I made the stupid mistake of leaving it outside attached to the scope for about 5 days and it got condensation in it... QHY9 mono is mine

:p

That said I have had to open mine to clean the CCD as I made the stupid mistake of leaving it outside attached to the scope for about 5 days and it got condensation in it... QHY9 mono is mine

The answer to that is to leave the camera in place, but heat it very gently it all the time. I do this with both a QHY8 and an Artemis 285 (same as Atik 16HR).

I have had very good results from both cameras. The main issue I found with the QHY8 was that the chip was not absolutely square to the camera body, and adjusting it to make it so was difficult and invasive (i.e. guarantee-busting). For large chips like this, precise squareness is vital, particularly with a fast system. With a small chip like the 285 you can get away with a larger error.

David

• 2 months later...

I have a QHY8L that I got last weekend, although due to the weather it's not had much use. Plus I am a total newbie with astrocams, so am still low on the learning curve sorting out my flats and processing... What little use I've had of it, it seems to be working fine though. I'm hoping for much bigger things....

I purchased one of the just before Christmas from the local Australian authorised dealer. So far, I can't say that I have had any complaints. I am running the camera on my Skywatcher Black Diamond ED120, guiding with an ED80 all mounted to a EQ6 Pro.

I have attached a couple of test images. At the moment I am taking 8 minute subs, and it seems to be around the mark. I live in suburban Adelaide, which has a population of around one million, and I am about 8km from the CBD, so do have a bit of light pollution to contend with. I just make sure I image on the western half of the sky!!

I am still in the process of playing around with the CCD, this being an upgrade to my old 400D.

Cheers,

Daniel

post-19947-133877540476_thumb.jpg

post-19947-133877540484_thumb.jpg

Archived