Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First telescope Orion 203mm

Hello everyone,

For graduation, my parents surprised me with something I have been wanting for a long while now. I received a Orion SkyView Pro 8 EQ GoTo.

This is my very first telescope so I'm pretty new to this equipment. The setup was very easy and didn't take much time at all. On a cloudy night, I was able to easily line up Jupiter and get a faint amount of detail. I haven't had much time to utilize any of the GoTo features, and haven't even had a clear enough night to get the scope polar aligned for some decent viewing.

I have a few initial questions that I was hoping someone could help me with.

1. Will my GoTo system track objects in the sky? Or will it just put them into the field of view and then let them drift off? The reason I ask is because the box the controller plugs into also has a plugin for an AutoGuider. What's the purpose of an AutoGuider if you have GoTo?

2. When I'm manually slewing the telescope with the electronic drives, should I unlock the ascension and declination locks? I've read the entire manual and I can't find the answer to this.

3. I'm a little intimidated by the selection of eye pieces. It came with a 10mm and 25mm. I'll be doing some planetary viewing as well as some deep space. Would a kit such as this be good for me?

4. Any other equipment recommended for this telescope? I don't even have a star map yet :) I have just been using software.

5. How come I didn't start this hobby a long time ago?

Hi Quantum64,

Welcome to the forum. I am not familiar with your scope, sure someone on here will be though.

I can tell you the scope will track objects and keep them in the fov. I believe an autoguider is needed for astro imaging only, the scope will be fine as it is.

Not sure about the asc/dec locks. I can release the clutches on my 925 and use it without any power so would presume they should be unlocked.

EP's are a tricky one. I tried your link but was unable to look at your choice. I would suggest you try to use a few different types if possible, maybe at a local astro club. I only say tricky as there's so many types and the prices can get scary. Best to make your own mind up on that one.

Other kit I would recommend,

Lens shade (essential here in the uk)

A portable power source, if you want to take it to some darker skies

A decent book or two, Turn Left at Orion is well regarded by observers, for one.

Hope some of this helps.:)

Alan

The auto guider port is for a guide camera. The goto on a scope is only accurate enough for visual work but imagers need it to be 100%

so they use a second telescope with a guide camera.......the guide camrea keeps the scope tracking by using a reference point such as a nearby bright star and adjust the mount accordingly.

Tracking errors are acused by a number of things on a goto mount which inlclude things like cone error which is th

E offset between the mount and the scope, poor polar alignment of the mount, poor drift alignment, and crucially ( because imagers are good at sorting out stuff like cone error, drift alignment etc) what's called PE errors which are periodic errors in the mounts gear train.....the gears are only accurate up to a point which is why you need for super accuracy to have a guide camera.

By the way I can't see a pic of your mount but if it's an eq mount the clutches are normally done up tight so the scope can track, the mount will track accurately enough on it's own if it's polar aligned.

It looks like an EQ5 mount in which case you definitely need the clutches tight when the scope is being powered either in GoTo or if you are using the motors to point the scope about. You only loosen the clutches when you are manually pushing the scope hither and yon.

Nice first scope. You also asked about eyepieces. Your telescope has a fairly fast F ratio (4.9) and therefore purists will let you know that you need expensive eyepieces. If you stick with this hobby you will get more discerning and want to get the most out of your scope. In the meantime, buy some reasonable plossl eyepieces. The ones that came with your scope are probably not the best quality, so you'd probably notice the difference if you upgraded a little. Don't feel you need every focal length available, rather buy two or three reasonable ones. If you go with Meade 4000, or even better the 5000 series, you'll be ok. Others might have alternative suggestions.

Also, download Stellarium for your pc. It's a free planetarium software package. It will help you learn the night sky and the Synscan GoTo system on your mount expects you to know the names of the brighter stars.

Hope that helps, Martin

Here are two eyepieces and a barlow that I am looking at. Any feedback on these would be appreciated.

6mm Orion Expanse Eyepiece

• Eyepiece focal length 6.0mm
  • Barrel size 1.25in.
  • Apparent field of view 66.0-deg
  • Eye relief 14.8mm
  • Coatings Multi-coated
  • Number of elements 5

15mm Orion Expanse Eyepiece

• Eyepiece focal length 15.0mm
  • Barrel size 1.25in.
  • Apparent field of view 66.0-deg
  • Eye relief 13.0mm