Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon dSLR to telescope help

Hi.

I've recently purchased a Canon 1000d camera and would like to attach it to my telescope, but not sure what I need. Can anyone help please and suggest site(s) to buy the bits?

I have a 4" Sky-Watcher ST102 telescope with a 1.25" eye piece holder.

Thanks.

Richard.

:)

Although not ideal a Canon EOS T-ring and T -1.25" adpator will get you started... to minimise vignetting you want to maximise the clear aperture through the adpators.

IIRC doesnt the ST102 have a dual fit focuser and direct DSL connection?

In which case you have a few more options...

You may also need about 50mm of extension tube in there somewhere to compensate for the removal of the diagonal

Give the guys at FLO a ring they should be able to sort you out with the bits you need...

Billy...

I use a Canon 5D Mk II and before that a Canon 40D coupled with a T-mount and a 40mm extension tube prior to a Baader Hyperion zoom. That extension tube was essential to bring the focussing range within reach using a SolarMax 60mm refractor.

Visually while attempting focus I still get those dreaded "Newton's Rings" but these are not apparant on the photographs - unlike trying without the 40mm extension ring.

Hope this helps :-)

Steve

• 2 months later...

Visually while attempting focus I still get those dreaded "Newton's Rings" but these are not apparant on the photographs - unlike trying without the 40mm extension ring.

Steve

Hello Steve, I see you have got a Coronado 60 mm Double Stack and you see Newton's rings visually. Could you say - is your Double Stack made at Coronado or you made it by yourself using 2 Coronado filters?

I tried to make Double Stack using SM60, a refraktor 75/600 and PST.

The picture changed dramatically considering details on Sun (comparing to single SM60), but these Newton's rings ... it was terrible.

I have decided I need a factory-made Double Stack, however, I have some doubts now.

Archived