NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar setup on a £600 budget

Hmmm..... I'm toying with the idea of having a solar setup, Ive dabbled with white light via a homemade filter using baader film and have had pleasing views. Ideally I'd like to use the ED80 but keeps its capabilities for deep sky imaging or possibly use a ST80 which I wouldn't be bothered about chopping up if need be as it lies unused. I'm more interested in imaging rather than visual using webcams or a modified DSLR.....so the $64000 question is what would I need and what would it cost?

Early next year I'll have £600 spare to spend on this project so will I achieve what I'm looking for with this budget?

Thanks in advance

George

Hi George

You don't specify whether you intent to continue in white light or delve into Hydrogen alpha.

If the latter is the case then the Coronado PST can be had for under £500 and will take any existing imaging kit you already have.

Dave...

Sounds like you maybe hinting at doing a PST mod with the ED80? I think a long focal length refractor, like a Nexstar 80 f11 or Evostar 90 is preferable to the ST80.

I've looked into this briefly and Merlin66 very kindly sent me a PDF outlining what needs to be done. I have the donor scope (Celestron 90mm F11 achro) and the PST but still need the ERF and all the adapters. So still hundreds of £ short. The PST is very roughly £250-350 secondhand, depending on luck. A donor scope approx £50-80. And then a couple hundred more for the ERF and bits. So definitely in reach of your budget.

Archived