SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Western Veil & Pickering's Triangle in HST Palette

vincentnm

Dear All,

Of late I've settled into the habit of capturing 2-3 targets every night in narrowband and repeating the same for a few weeks until I have sufficient data. Advantage is that I get each target when it is at the zenith and once it moves to the murk, I slew to my next target. Been doing the Veil, Pelican, & Pacman this way. Here's the first one.

Dates taken: 7 nights across July, August, and September in between cloud breaks!

Scope: C8 Hyperstar

Camera: SXV-H16

Filters: Astronomik Ha, OIII, SII

Guiding: ST80, DFK

Mount: EQ6

Exposures: 5 hours Ha, 14 hours OIII, 9 hours SII all in 10 minute subs.

Processing: Stacked in Maxim DL, DBE in PixInsight LE, Stretched and Noise Reduced in CS3

Comments and criticism welcome please :)

Thanks,

Vincent.

HST_SIIBS2_Processed1_Background6000_MoreFuzzy_Brighter_1024.jpg

Vincent.

Do the the colours indicate lots of Oxygen and Sulpher but little Hydrogen ?

I do like the Narrowband process, and there are I believe different palettes, so I guess the outcome may not be true representations of those gasses. I'm no Narrowband expert :).

You have put a lot of time and effort into this, and it has produced a beautiful result.:)

Ron

Speaking as someone who's experience stops with film (i.e. novice to digital pics) I love the pic, but I'd want to check out your optical train.. looks like you might have the image plane tilted a smidge as the stars at the bottom of the pic APPEAR to be out of focus.

Either that or you've got some rotational variation between subs.

Still, I'd be over the moon to take anything as good as this, and I'll certainly be using your trick of only imaging near the meridian.

thanks for posting this.

Derek

The second one looks like a tighter stack to me and, like Derek, I wonder about the imaging train. I'm not sure it is yet giving all it can. Is it focus or orthogonality? Both are so critical at f2.

However, good images with a strong view of Pickerings.

Olly

Archived