Jupiter with my 16" early on the evening of the 17th

x228 magnification

Seeing: III-II

17.05 UT

System I: 323 degrees

System II: 355 degrees

Temp down to -5c !!

Jupiter17Dec.png

SEB revival really taking shape now. Unbroken thin line extending across the disk in the vicinity of the SEB's southern component. The line darkened and contained wider areas / spots in various places

The central area of the SEB showed as a very vague low contrast feature. However, the northern edge of the SEB was more defined.

Nice sketch. I saw the wider areas in the thin line myself although seeing was a bit poor-couldnt make out any detail in NEB.

I like the subtle festoons in the EZ.

Was there really a dark area so close to the North pole area- don't think I've ever seen such a large dark mass there, is it unusual?

Nice sketch. I saw the wider areas in the thin line myself although seeing was a bit poor-couldnt make out any detail in NEB.

I like the subtle festoons in the EZ.

Was there really a dark area so close to the North pole area- don't think I've ever seen such a large dark mass there, is it unusual?

Thanks Alan. Yes, the dark stripe in the north pole area was indeed there and noted on the sketch. It was low contrast, but more obvious with a neodymium filter. It is either part of the NNTB or a more defined area on the edge of the NPR

It seems to be a recurring feature that reveals itself in my 16". I recorded it in the same area at roughly the same longitude co-ordinates back in September

My word, you sketchers are hardy people.

You turn out such excellent work recording exquisite detail. I have so much admiration for you.

You have to stick to the eyepiece, (Not literally of course:)?, and in the freezing temperatures of late too.

Great depiction of big Jove here DS, and it seems the planet will soon be it's familiar self again.:)

Ron.

Archived