so am i the only one who does it?

Manok101

there are times when i get frustrated looking for things and just stop looking for them and just pick a spot with my telescope and look for a few minutes, then move on to another random spot in the sky, just for fun. I've found a few double and triple stars that way. I was just wondering if anyone else does that besides me?

My sessions are pre-planned and structured, but when the work's done i love cruising around for a bit of sightseeing. When something interesting turns up, it's fun to get the Atlas and identify it for future reference (yep, i'm a geek :) ).

Sightseeing is how i saw the Crescent Nebula for the first time. It was years ago on a lovely summernight, just after i'd bought the O-III filter. Using a wide fov eyepiece and the O-III, i started to cruise up and down Cygnus' spine when the Crescent wandered into view. Seems like yesterday. :)

Archived