Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion Nebula with a DSLR

Abernus

Hi all.

As the snow has now melted I was hoping the get my telescope out, but my back garden is flooded!!!! So I was thinging I could have a go at wide field.

I don't have a tracking camera mount so I will be limited to my exposure times (I am thinking 10 seconds per shot?) What results could i expect to see If I managed to get teh Orion Nebula?

I would be using a Canon EOS 10D (not modded) and a 300 zoom lense.

Thanks

At about 300mm, you're going to be limited to about 1 or 2 seconds without a tracking mount. I'm not sure how much you'll get with a 10d... If you have a 50mm lens, and a motor for the eq1, mount the camera and 50mm on the eq1, and if you get the setup right, you should be able to get 2 minute exposures and that will make an enormous difference. Orion fits just about right in the FOV of a 50mm.

Not an answer to the exact question you asked but I've got a simple EQ2 clock motor fitted to a CG3(=EQ2?) and get 60s with a Canon at 55mm.

Can your EQ1 take a similar motor, I've seen them going for 'a few' quids second hand?

That would open up some possibilities for you.

ooooooo, now that does sound interesting. I thought I would have to move up to a better mount to get a motor.

It appears that my previous post didn't go up. I don't have a motor for my mount and as you might fo guessed I didn't know it could take one.

jgs001: if that was a hint that you might want to sell one PM me please :)

Well using a 50mm lens I managed to get these pictures of Orion with around 8 seconds exposure with an unmodded 20d. Now I'm not saying I'm doing it right but maybe it would give you a clearer idea of what you could expect, maybe others have some better advice. If you have a smaller lens than the 300 I'd try that then you can get longer exposures out of it.

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-widefield-special-events-comets/122050-first-orion-attempt.html

Archived