NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter - 7 December ... Caught in the Act!!

DarkerSky

Took a chance to set my 16" up for an early viewing of Jupiter this evening. Clouds broke for about 3/4 of an hour to reveal the best view I have ever had of Jupiter!

The SEB revival feature was on the disc...and it is spreading. It's really quite beautiful to see. I could make out almost a complete thin band across the disc defining the edge of the southern component. As well as the main SEB revival feature on the preceeding edge of the disc, there was a darker feature close the following edge embedded within the southern component.

Plenty of intricacy in the NEB too. The other obs of note is how much darker the NPR region as a whole is versus the SPR.

Overall an amazing view to which my sketch really doesn't do it justice! At least I have captured the SEB revival in the act of reviving, which I'm really pleased about :D

16" x228 magnification

Baader Neodymium filter

Seeing: II

System I: 198 degrees

System II: 306 degrees

Time: 17:27 UT

Jupiter7Dec.jpg

It was a lucky punt on a hole in the clouds this evening! When I normally do that it just stays cloudy, but i got lucky this time

The SEB does seem to be changing at a fair pace. I was ecstatic when I managed to trace the thin dark line of its southern edge right across the disc!

It certainly is an exciting time observing Jupiter at the moment , ( when the weather allows that is ).Just managed to do two videos before the clouds rolled in today and this is the better of the two images from them.

post-20942-133877508722_thumb.jpg

Lovely sketch Seb. You've picked out some great detail. And it sounds like you caught a real sweet spot in the seeing. Oh i really hope it's like that tonight, i really need a good obs session.

Archived