skywatcher 150pl skywatcher skyliner 200p

Hi,

many thanks to all who replied to me the other day concerning the astro2000,I've taken your advice and not bid on ebay for it.Talked to my son today,and we've decided to buy a new Skywatcher 150PL as he is very keen on planets,and is doing a planetary geology module next year for his degree.But just noticed about the skyliner 200p.Can anyone tell me if you get better views through the skyliner,and is the azimuth mount any good.He will be taking the telescope to places to view,rather than in one location.My understanding is the 150pl will still be his best bet.cheers gixere.

The Sw 150PL is always quoted as a great starter scope and I've had one for a year or so. It's provided me with a great start in this hobby or, re-start as I was into astronomy when much younger - many many years ago. The 200P is obviously larger in aperture, but I'm not sure that it's that much larger as to make a discnerible difference.

The 150PL comes with an equatorial mount, whcih you can of course upgrade, but the 200P is a Dobsonian so if you ever want to get into photogaphy (we all do eventually I guess...) then the 150PL or larger if budget allows will serve you well.

I get so confused by the hundreds of threads on which scope is best,. Reflector, refractor or Dobsonian - there are fans off all, plus other types of scope. I guess it's like wine - people say whch is best, but at the end of the day, it's down to personal choice as to what you like and whether you might want to future-proof your purchase in terms of options in the coming months and years. You might want to think about joining a local society and seeing what the locals use.

Mars was close to us earlier this year as was Jupiter recently (still fantastic through the scope), the moon is awesome of course - all through my 150PL. It's not the cream of the crop but highly regarded in most circles.

For portability, both scopes will be awkward to a degree due to their length so think about that - in terms of how you would transport them. That 150PL is a long old tube you know.

Best of luck with it and you and your lad will be blown away with the views of whatever model you select. Nice to see a comment like "we've decided to buy a ..." - a hobby father and son can share in the back garden? Brilliant.

If the main interest will be planets then I suggest the 150PL. Although smaller it is easier in general use.

The 200P is I suspect an f/5 scope so collimation is more critical, as are eyepieces when looking for the high end of such.

....The 200P is I suspect an f/5 scope so collimation is more critical, as are eyepieces when looking for the high end of such.

The equatorially mounted version is F/5 while the dobsonian is F/6 :D

The Skyliner 200p is an f/6 scope so isn't too fussy on collimation or eyepieces, although decent ones always help in any scope. The f/ratio also means that is a great all-rounder so is great on deep sky and also planets.

The mount on the other hand is a simple alt-az dob mount which isn't the best if you are interested in tracking the planets. You will have to move the scope manually in two direction at the same time to keep an object in the FOV. Compare that to an equatorial mount where the there is only one axis to be moved (RA) and that can be done easily with the addition of a motor drive.

If you plan to do observing only then a dobsonian (Alt/Az) mount is fine for a 200P. Bear in mind you'll need to push it to find and track objects.

However - with an equatorial (EQ) mount you'll be able to polar align and possibly do some photography with a tracking motor (possible future upgrade). You'd need a fairly substantial mount for a 200P (EQ5 minimum) and it will cost more.

The 150P is a great starter scope and highly capable instrument. I prefer them on EQ mounts. You will also get manual cable controls to move and track. It's all personal preference really.

In summary I'd say 150PL on EQ5 (or min EQ3-2) or a 200P dob. Phone FLO and have a chat about it - they'll help you come to a good decision for yourself :)

• 10 months later...

I just came across this thread and was interested in which mount you decided to go for. I too have a Skyline 200p Dob, which is amazing, but I am interested in possibly upgrading the mount to an equatorial. However I have heard that as the 200p is quite big an equatorial mount may not be practical?

• 2 weeks later...

There is quite a substantial difference in light gathering and resolution between the 150PL and the 200P f/6. You will see loads more with the Skyliner 200P, it is easier to set up, easier to store, and it is not difficult to follow objects with the scope even at quite high magnification.

So long as you are intending to look at stuff, rather than take pictures, the Dobsonian wins hands-down.

Archived