Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

January 4th eclipse

Blackheart

Hi all

I'm just wanting to check that the partial eclipse on January 4th will be visible from southern Scotland. As far as I understand it we should see the latter part of the eclipse from shortly before 9.00am to about 9.35. Could anyone confirm if this will indeed be the case.

Many thanks

BH

Hello Blackheart.

I have just looked at my StarryNight Pro software and used Glasgow as a location. It shows sunrise at 8.46am with the Sun partially eclipsed. The Moon leaves the Sun at approx 9.31am.

Hope you are able to view it - remember to check the solar filter if you are going to view the Sun through a scope.

Regards

Mark

Maximum phase at Edinburgh is 38% at sunrise already past mid eclipse. Not a great chance really especially given the usual horizon clouds. Better chances the further south east you are, higher altitude & earlier sunrise ... 67% at sunrise in London.

Thanks guys

That's kinda what I thought it might be. Stellarium shows it just past maximum as the sun comes up, so I guess we're hoping for a a low horizon and no clouds!

I'm just about to notify some people and I didn't want to raise expectations to high...

Cheers

BH

Archived