NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best Accessories For The StarTravel 102mm

gordyb

How about a correct image diagonal for daytime use, if that is of interest. The William Optics jobby looks good from Ian King for £40:

William optics Accessories from Ian King Imaging

Or how about a white solar filter, such as the Astrozap from First Light Optics:

Solar Filters - AstroZap Baader Solar Filter

Stephen's suggestion of a 2" diagonal would be a great upgrade.

A 2" diagonal 99% would be a good start. Then a better focuser (or strip, relube and adjust the current one), adjust the lens cell tension if it shows evidence of pinched optics (as mine did when I got it). Check collimation, and if it's off it can be adjusted by tweaking the position of the focuser in its fixing screwholes - though only slightly. A filter for reducing the CA would be a nice touch, but there are so many to choose from and I haven't tried any of them so can't recommend an indivisual model. Finally, better eyepiecs give better views through these scopes. It's never going to be a "planet killer" but those steps will probably improve the overall performance.

Hope that helps!

Ant

hello chaps out of all the scopes this is the one i will be getting in the next month or so i will probably buy a 8" dobsonian further down the line thats why i didnt consider the 6",so i was just inquiring into the accessories before i buy the scope,i dont mind that the scope is limited but just wanting advice without spending huge amounts to improve the scopes performance.Thanks Gordy

A filter for reducing the CA would be a nice touch, but there are so many to choose from and I haven't tried any of them so can't recommend an indivisual model.

A Baader Semi-APO filter is the best i have tried, or a William Optics Minus-Violet

Archived