Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

update to "where to mount my telrad" thread

If you looked at "where to mount my telrad" thread you would see i was unsure of where on the scope to put it, well after a little while and a few ideals from you i came to put it next to the focuser, this ment i had to move the shoe for the optical finder as i wanted to keep this ready to use, as promised here are a few pics of the process.

pic 1 shows the position of the original holes for the finder shoe and where the new ones are to go, this leaves enough room to fit the telrad base.

pic 2 shows finder shoe in its new location, the old holes have been covered up inside to stop any stray light.

pic 3 shows telrad base in position, did not bolt this in place as i thought i would have to, the sticky stuff it comes with is VERY strong.

pic 4 shows the finished job, looks all abit cluttered but i did not want things to far away from the focuser, you can get at everything you need to and all seems to work fine so happy with the little job all 30mins of it :D

Hope this helps anyone thinking of doing the same

post-20982-133877508105_thumb.jpg

post-20982-133877508109_thumb.jpg

post-20982-133877508113_thumb.jpg

post-20982-133877508116_thumb.jpg

Nice one Dave - a tight squeeze but you got there.

a bit late of course but if you find it's tricky to use, you could always try a Rigel Quikfinder which has a tiny footprint compared to a Telrad; that said, I have both and prefer the Telrad myself on my dobs so you did the right thing I think.

the Rigel was great on my refractor though.

Thanks moonshane, yes a bit of a tight squeeze which some may not like but it works well for me and being close to the focuser means i dont have to bend over the scope to much.

Of course if i find i dont use the optical i can just remove it from the shoe, but wanted the option of the two.

I looked at the Rigel but got drawn to the telrad by the good reviews it had.

Archived