Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best scope for planetary webcam imaging????

Hi all,

Yes... I know I have asked a very similar question before but I have had a slight change in circumstances.

I was originally looking to upgrade my Mak 127 and Phillips 900NC with a budget of the second hand value of the Mak and my 12" Lightbridge. As I say, things have changed and I am now looking at a possible budget of up to £5000. Does anyone have any real recommendations on a scope and colour imaging camera that would fall into this budget. I have been looking at things like the Celestron C11 and Meade SCT's but I am none the wiser and in fact even more confused than when I started out. Portability is not an issue but am I even looking at the right type of OTA?

I will continue viewing DSOs but am only really looking at solar system objects for imaging. My thoughts are to keep the Lightbridge for DSO and the Mak as grab & go. But what would be the best I could do for getting some nice shots of planets?

Thanks in advance

Tony:icon_salut:

You could get a platform for the LightBridge and image on it using a 4x or 5x barlow; it would also be a great boost for DSO use of the Lightbridge as well.

It's not ideal, though: you do have to have very good balance to prevent the Lightbridge from moving on its own when changing from eyepiece to sensor or inserting filters etc., and without a dual speed focuser focusing such a fast scope is't easy. But it's certainly possible and the resolution is certainly there.

Just some food for thought.

Cheap new SCTs are on teleskop-spezialisten, but second had from USA old OTAs will be much cheaper (but they are old and may need some renovation). You will need some cryford +/- motofocus for them.

For cameras there is a wide range from QHY5*, DMK21, Lumenerea, Basler or Point Grey new cameras. Also TIS is working on new DMK with ICX618 (as well as QHY is trying to release their IMG0H). So plenty to choose from.

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies!

I have to say that I was beginning to lean towards the C11 and DMK but needed confirmation that this would do the job. I will definately look at the second hand market for a 14 and look at sourcing a flea 3.

Astroman001, I am guessing that you have used the C11 & DMK setup for planetary imaging... do you have a pic of Jupiter or such that will give me an idea of what to expect?

Thanks again to all of you for your input.

Kind regards

Tony

In Europe Flea3 is harder to get - as you have to order it from USA. The same CCD and nearly identical electronics (but GigE interface. Flea is Firewire 800) is in Basler Ace. ICX618 for planetary, or ICX445 if you want more lunary shots :D

There are some C-11 planetary imagers on cloudynights. You could also search flickr.com or CelestronImages.com - astrophotography with optics from Celestron Telescopes. for C-11 images. I have C8 at the moment... but I've ordered C11 already :D

• 1 month later...

Archived