whats up with this

hi all just tok my scope out for the second time. didnt see nothing first time not sure what i just saw i was looking at/for jupiter.now i have tuned in my starfinder (why i saw nothing first time) maybe why i saw nothing this time lol:)

after a little fiddle i saw what i thought was jupi but had a weird thingy attached i will try to explian :D. now the thing at the end of the scope were you remove the cover(the bit that points skyward) the circle bit in the middle held in place with with the plasitc bits going to the outer case of the scope (i think it hold a morror).now this looked like it was stapped to the planet(shall call it that) like when you look down that end and see the reflection in the mirror.now the wierd thing was when i moved the scope it seemed to move over said planet like a 3d projection.

so my question is what did i do wrong/ what did i see

thx. star

ps ive had a few beers so if i havnt explained correctly just ask and i will try to answer. as i just read through it and dont know if i would understand lol :D

Sounds like you were seeing the shadow of the secondary mirror and it's supports against a well out of focus Jupiter. As you adjust the focuser you should see the disk of light that is the out of focus planet get smaller and tighter and at the same time the shadow of the secondary mirror and it's supports will disappear. Use your lowest power eyepiece (the one with the largest number of mm on it) to get used to how the scope focuses.

yea i will have another go soon. it took me a while to realize that when you move the scope up/dwn lft/rght its all back to front (was when i was liining up starfinder). oh well as long as im learning im happy(still awaiting lft turn at orion)

and im thinking flask of broth nxt time.cans were freezing to my hands:eek:

i also thought largest number lens was most powerfull. sshhhh dont tell

thx all s_c

Archived