Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Synguider problems. I need help

Firstly I fitted a GOTO to my EQ5 mount and with a 200P on it, I was achieving about 2 mins. exposures with just slight trails so I assume my alignment / GOTO is OK.

Then I fitted a Synguider to an ST80……

This is where I am at -

Polar alignment

3 star align using main OTA

Align ST80 (using handset and eyepiece in ST80) with a reasonably bright star

Focus synguider using zoom to achieve max bri and smallest point on screen

Used the par focal ring to make an “in focus” eyepiece

Set the bri levels to the nearest I could to just above 10 using the exposure / noise settings

Auto locked star - which always seems to work

Then selected auto cal / guide

What happens is the synguider goes into guide mode and loses the star pretty quick – it always goes off to the top right of the screen.

I have since re aligned the synguider so that the RA movement on the mount, corresponds to the cross hairs on the synguider so it’s an exact match…Still it won’t guide – the star just goes straight up!

I have spent about 10 hours trying to sort this… pics and vids to follow

I think there is something fundamentally wrong with what I am doing but I don’t know what! TBH I feel like giving up after spending so much time out in the cold to no avail.

Any help / advice is welcome

Thanks for looking

Pete

This is how it's setup

synguider2.jpg

synguider1.jpg

And a video of whats happening.

Astronomy :: synguideravi.mp4 video by Petrol200sx - Photobucket

As mentioned, since these pics / vid were taken I have re aligned the synguider so that the RA movement on the mount, corresponds to the cross hairs on the synguider so it’s an exact match.

Thanks for looking

Pete

I cranked the guider over to record the video. I have positioned the guider so that when the scope is moved on the RA axis, the guide star on the screen follows the cross hair.

Thanks

Pete

Edited by Petrol

• 1 month later...

Did you get solution for that problem allready? I read today from Finnish astronomy forum about same type of problem. Have you chek dec axis backlash menu parameter level from synguider handcontrol?

There was some kind of bug in that guys software and it did not show right level. It was more than 10, guy in forum scroll the numbers down more than half minute untill get 9.9 value. He continued and leave 0,5, after that perfect guiding. I just checked mine, level was 0 and maximum i can get is 4.0

Yes it’s sorted. It turned out to be the RA motor that didn’t work on speed 1. I wrongly assumed that the Synscan defaulted to speed 1 on power up when in actual fact it defaults to speed 2. I obviously thought the motor was OK but by pressing the rate and 1 button on the handset revealed the defective motor.

I have since bought an EQ6 pro Synscan and although I have had only a short time to test it, it seems to be working fine.

Clear Skies required for a proper test me thinks!!

Cheers

Pete

• 2 months later...
Yes it’s sorted. It turned out to be the RA motor that didn’t work on speed 1. I wrongly assumed that the Synscan defaulted to speed 1 on power up when in actual fact it defaults to speed 2. I obviously thought the motor was OK but by pressing the rate and 1 button on the handset revealed the defective motor.

I have since bought an EQ6 pro Synscan and although I have had only a short time to test it, it seems to be working fine.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete,

I'm having this same problem with my Eq-5 Pro Synscan and Synguider. Could you explain the changes you made to the rate that solved the problem (or identified the faulty motor) On my mount the Rate settings are only used to set the speed in slewing the scopes and doesn't affect the normal running of the RA/Dec motor.

Thanks

David

Hi David.

I found that the RA motor didn’t work on speed 1 by pressing the rate button on the handset, then 1 (slowest speed) and enter. When I pressed the buttons to move the mount, the motor didn’t run. I could hear it running at all speeds except speed 1.

I am no expert by any means but assume that during guiding, the RA motor needs to run at speed 1. I don’t think these motors have an infinite range of speeds and it would be reasonable to assume that speed 1 is critical to guidance.

Hope that helps but if you are really struggling (like I was) drop me a PM and you can give me a call if you want, I would be more than happy to talk you through it.

Just to add, I have used the Synguider loads of times with great success. I find it quick and easy to use

Best regards

P

Hi David.

I found that the RA motor didn’t work on speed 1 by pressing the rate button on the handset, then 1 (slowest speed) and enter. When I pressed the buttons to move the mount, the motor didn’t run. I could hear it running at all speeds except speed 1.

I am no expert by any means but assume that during guiding, the RA motor needs to run at speed 1. I don’t think these motors have an infinite range of speeds and it would be reasonable to assume that speed 1 is critical to guidance.

Hope that helps but if you are really struggling (like I was) drop me a PM and you can give me a call if you want, I would be more than happy to talk you through it.

Just to add, I have used the Synguider loads of times with great success. I find it quick and easy to use

Best regards

P

I see - I think mines working ok in RA as I can up to 7 min subs with little star trail. Also I've been told to check the "aggresiveness" of the Synguider corrections in RA and DEC once guiding and halve the values - sounds like that might work.

Really appreciate the insight you've offered - thanks.

David

• 8 years later...
On 07/01/2011 at 20:57, Petrol said:

Cheers

Pete

Is the default speed on EQ6 also 2 or 1?